+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: B&W DM-70.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've always prefered the look of the 'Radiogram' DM-70s to those having the 'Continental' styling. Apart from the styling, I also liked the idea of the non-captive mains lead and the use of a 2-pin Bulgin connector for the speaker audio connection.

However 'Continental' or not, both versions suffered the usual problems of trying to integrate the dipole nature of the electrostatic tweeter with the monopole (cardoid) polar pattern of the bass unit.
    I was offered a pair of these about 15 years ago, i had the pleasure of a good demo session, but i could not have lived with the sound, as you say there was such ( too much of) a difference between the bass and upper registers.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

They originally came with a removable padding which fitted behind the electostatic panel - perhaps this was supposed to solve that problem but normally was lost?

I'm Andrew.

Sounds like it to me. Probably disintegrated like the foam on 3090 tweeters did. I can't see anyone releasing a speaker that sounds as bad as that. I also don't see Sony buying into it if it sounded that bad and then you have the majority of reviews saying they sounded great.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

They are/were heavy duty cloth things filled with something and almost quilted in construction (I guess to lend themselves to a curve) - a bit like some kind of draft excluder fire protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234