+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B&W DM-70.

I'm Andrew.

Just gained an idea of how much these things go for and while I'm not surprised I am thinking they may be a tad too rich for my blood.
    Back to monitoring the bins for some Japanese bargain.
    Mind you, I don't know that the guy who has them knows what he's got and I'm not about to let on.

I'm Michael.

Default DM70's

I had two pairs of 'Standard' DM70's and later a pair of 'Continentals' which were labelled as 'Sony SS-GB'. I mistakenly sold the first pair in the mid 70's and then later acquired a second pair which were early versions. Later I bought the pair of SS-GB's, originally advertised in Hi Fi News as 'Continentals' - which they were, but manufactured for Sony by Bowers & Wilkins.
    Both pairs survived intact when I emigrated to Calgary and later being transported from Calgary to Saskatoon when I moved there. However both pairs were damaged when I finally decided to return to England and they were transported to Toronto before being allegedly 'export packed' and shipped to the U.K.
    I only found the damage when they were unpacked after I 'settled' in Holland in '91. The 'roll surrounds of the bass units in the 'Continentals' had disintegrated, but the bass units in the 'standard' pair didn't appear to have deteriorated at all, as they had a different type of 'roll surround'
    Much later I disposed of both pairs by transporting them down to the local 're-cycling centre' when I was under pressure to create some 'space'.
    To this day I regret ever selling the first pair which I had purchased second hand but virtually unused from a gentleman who's wife thought that they were too big. I purchased them without a demonstration as they were obviously almost new and in their original boxes.
    I can still remember my delight when I got them home and connected them up to my Thorens 124 / Quad 33 / 303 and listened to them for the first time. I found them an outstanding speaker with the clarity of a '57 but with more bass. With my 20-20 hindsight I wish I had 'hung on' to my original pair, the later ones were more 'used' and never quite as satisfying.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I'm James.

"TD124/33/303/DM70"

What a beautiful system that must have been Mike

I'm Andrew.

Ah the things I've parted with and regret, the two that come easily to mind are a Sansui AU-919 and a pair of Leak 3090's.

I'm Michael.

Default DM-70 / Quad 33 /303 Thorens 124

Yes it sounded wonderful to me, even Martin Hannett was impressed - at the time he had an account with Quad and had provided me with the new 303 at a slight 'discount'.
    I only sold my Quad 33 /303 / FM 3 /AM 3 units a couple of years ago - when I thought I was about to 'retire' to China - but that's another story - Doh!!!!

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I'm Andr'e.

The Grass is never Greener on the other side.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

...especially when your arse is black.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Don't give up on finding a pair.

I've seen some as good as that £800 pair sell for £300. A good pair for restoration could go for £250. Yet then again I once saw a pair of Standards go for £1000 in the past. All depends if people claim they will ship them abroad (stupidly heavy). I've seen many pairs in the £2-300 region.

The first problem will be the bass foams having rotted (I've seen correct matching foams available, perhaps from Shackmann?). There's possibility of saggy membranes just like any electrostatic and then the high tension part should get a service. Essentially they're not as problematic as Quad esls probably due to the smaller electrostatic panel so less power needed. Beware ones where the bass drivers have been swapped out for new drivers because they didn't know the foams were available - hit and miss results.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Ooo - yuk, the old fashioned 'radiogram look'. I hate that! Give me the smooth curves of the Continental lass every time!

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Although unseen, the continentals have unique curved driver baskets which is nice. Unique for any speaker I've ever heard of anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast