+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie Looking for SUT Advice

I'm Mike.

Great looking setup! Would love to hear some AirTight in a home environment some day.
    But please, you really need to support your precious software better! Even if your Sota has a clamp, your records WILL become warped!
    All the best
    Mike

I'm Kyle.

Mike - help me here... what about having my records stored, book-like, will cause them to warp?? And my SOTA does have a clamp and vacuum hold-down.

Kyle

I'm Kyle.

Default Newbie Looking for SUT Advice - an interim update

As an update, (for those who may be interested), as I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the Airtight ATH-2 Reference SUT, I've been playing around with some DIY cable projects. After much research (online and through the excellent Supercables Cookbook), I decided to makeup some of Chris VanHaus' Silver Interconnects (recipe available online and maybe through the VH Audio Website as well). Well, they weren't easy, but after 2 weekends I finally finished them Sunday afternoon. I ended up making a DIN to RCA from my tonearm to my SUT, a 3/4 meter section to run from my SUT to my Airtight phono stage, and the final 1/2 meter section to run from my phono stage to my Airtight line stage. And the results..... Stunning! These replaced some expensive custom built cables that I had a guy makeup for me several years ago (tonearm to SUT and SUT to phono stage) and a pair of 8-9's Accrotec cables from my phono to pre. Not necessarily chopped liver. Regardless, the improvement that I was able to get in transparency, frequency extension at both ends, and imaging absolutely floored me. The only problem I have, and I had this with my other cables as well, is a slight low frequency hum/buzz that I need to isolate and figure out how/if I can eliminate it. As info, I did not shield any of the interconnects for fear the shielding would have an adverse effect on transparency and the upper frequencies (or so I have read). I did properly ground them (I think) and I'll be going through a systematic check to see if I can't isolate and fix the problem; if I can't, I can live with it.

I'm hoping to receive the Airtight SUT this week; so I'll provide impressions once I've had a chance to receive and evaluate it.

Kyle

I'm Mike.

Hi Kyle

My point was, that the records need more support, they're leaning too much IME
    Anyways, great system!
    Atb Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123