+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jazz Rock Fusion

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I much prefer Shakti with John McLaughlin: both the eponymous title and 'Natural Elements'.
    I've got both those albums, and they're superb, and also the Billy Cobham one mentioned, but to me they're quite different and not really comparable

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Surprised no mention yet for Weather Report, pre and post JP, fabulous

Cheers
    Hi Ralph,

Jazz Rock as a genre is so nebulous that I didn't think of Weather Report, despite recently expanding my collection (courtesy of TGW).

Does Nucleus 'Elastic Rock' come into the jazz rock genre and what about Colosseum, with Dick Heckstall-Smith? Miles Davis - post 'Bitches Brew'?

Regards
    Barry

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Jazz Rock as a genre is so nebulous that I didn't think of Weather Report, despite recently expanding my collection (courtesy of TGW).

Does Nucleus 'Elastic Rock' come into the jazz rock genre and what about Colosseum, with Dick Heckstall-Smith? Miles Davis - post 'Bitches Brew'?

Regards
    I think they all come in the Jazz rock fusion genre
    Feel free to add more artists/bands
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post

Regards
    I would reckon so, especially the Miles, some say it kind of defined the genre but surely you have to include the likes of Soft Machine and J.L. Ponty's 'Cosmic Messenger' album as well. A nebulous genre indeed but as someone once said, jazz, if you have to ask what it is you aint never gonna know!

Thanks for the reminder Barry, just dug out my battered old copy of Valentine Suite, stunning album

Cheers

I'm ChrisB.

A nebulous genre indeed ..........
    Never met a genre that wasn't nebulous! That's why I hate them so! Well, that & the fact that they make some people get stuck in a musical rut.

I'm ILOB.

Yes tend to agree that genres can be limiting; but a really interesting artist or band will always finds way to explore and bring something new
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    ......... they make some people get stuck in a musical rut.........
    ........in the sense of the listener only listening to their chosen genre rather than musicians getting into a rut. I think that, on the whole, genres only exist in the minds of the listener.

Most musicians have far more musically open minds than their fans!!

I'm Ralph.

........ I think that, on the whole, genres only exist in the minds of the listener.
    ....and in the marketing departments of the record companies...and the music press...

I'm ILOB.

........in the sense of the listener only listening to their chosen genre rather than musicians getting into a rut. I think that, on the whole, genres only exist in the minds of the listener.

Most musicians have far more musically open minds than their fans!!
    I think one of the best compliments I had was from a very good guitarist who said I had musicians ears to new music Not 100% sure what that ment but thought it was cool
    Chris I promise no more genre based over views
    Last edited by John; 20-07-2009 at 18:16.

I'm ILOB.

Here is a great link lots of live Fusion music enjoy
    http://www.jazzfusion.tv/bootlegaudio.1205.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12