+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony 770ES any owners?

I'm Andy.

When l get a chance l am going doing to a head to head SONY TA-F940R vs SONY F770ES, compared them briefly and they both sound good but quite different, the 940 is no slouch!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Brian.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    When l get a chance l am going doing to a head to head SONY TA-F940R vs SONY F770ES, compared them briefly and they both sound good but quite different, the 940 is no slouch!

System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post

Ok here goes, starting with the 940 l believe it is lighter, more agile and airy than the 770ES, slightly more musical too ( but this is a gnats hair), the 940 has less body to the music than the 770ES, the 940 is less dark sounding than the 770ES and has a slightly deeper soundstage.

The 770ES fights back with a more natural sound which is very powerful ( rock musical sounds superb) a more dynamic and a more sophisticated sound, the phono stage on the 770ES is really rather good just a bit behind my Dino+, bass on the 770ES just keeps going and going, it is very detailed and the top end is very smooth indeed.

Which one people would prefer is down to personal choice l would say, another little experiment l tried was putting a poncy Furutech mains plug and poncy fuse and this did make a nice difference to both amplifiers but the most improvement l got was putting expensive Silver loudspeaker and interconnect, this dramatically dropped the noise floor and got great tonal colours, so all in all both amps are very musical and a joy to listen to.

I'm James.

A fair assessment of what you heard Andy

In my system the 940 couldn't live with a 770 which was in another league entirely... I found the 670 preferable let alone the 770 but its all down to personal taste as you say. One thing I'm sure we can agree on; the 770 is built like a brick "outhouse" whilst the 940 feels like a biscuit tin

I'm Brian.

I've got a 930 and I absolutely love it . Fantastic amp.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andy.

To be honest everyone is on to a winner with these amps!

Forgotten gems.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    To be honest everyone is on to a winner with these amps!

Forgotten gems.
    I'm going to buy a 940 when one becomes available . Prices for the ES amps have gone ballistic.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Prices for the ES amps have gone ballistic.
    I remember 10 years ago when one could get them for £100 all day long... The internet has a lot to answer for

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    I remember 10 years ago when one could get them for £100 all day long... The internet has a lot to answer for

You mean people like us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast