+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony 770ES any owners?

I'm James.

Default Sony 770ES any owners?

Considering buying a 770ES but wondering what people know about it and it's capabilities?

Interested to know how the phono stage will compete against modern Graham Slee for example?

Does anyone repair them if they go wrong?

I'm Hugo.

Gromit (Richard) is the man to tell you about the phono stage capabilities and may come along directly to give his views. Istari-knight (James) can repair these amps.

I'm Andrew.

I've not owned one as yet but do have some experience of ES kit. The spec list alone speaks volumes to me, this is a serious amp.
    Broadly speaking, a phono stage is a phono stage and as long as quality components are used there won't be much in it.
    There are lots of folk out there who can and will recap and service these beauties. I don't know of anyone local to you but someone probably will and hopefully they will join the thread.

Buy it and share many pics.

+1 for James here. The boy does good work.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Broadly speaking, a phono stage is a phono stage and as long as quality components are used there won't be much in it.
    I think there are many people who would take issue with this!

I'm Andrew.

They should probably not bother.

I'm Andy.

Hi James l am a recent owner of one of these audio beasts, and the phono stage on MC which has adjustable loading ( have not tried MM yet) is very good indeed, just a smidgen behind my Trichord Dino+ which l rate very highly for the money. Having just acquired one of these beasts, l find the bass very powerful yet controlled and the sound is big with very good separation, but more neutral than my SONY TA-F940R amp.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andy.

Oops nearly forgot- this amp likes to be played loud!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Oops nearly forgot- this amp likes to be played loud!
    It does that.

Like a few amps I've owned, the Sony does like to work hard and sounds more free'n'fast when let off the leash.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm James.

They are good amps but lots of them are starting to show signs of ageing with dodgy switches, relays & dried out capacitors so do test before handing over any cash if possible. All of these problems are easily rectified but beware of unscrupulous sellers hiding or playing down faults. We had one recently where the amplifier was louder on one channel than the other, the seller just centered it with the balance control behind the flap...

If the remote control facility isnt a deal breaker the TA-F700ES is equally good IME... If anything, I preferred it a little bit

I'm george.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    They are good amps but lots of them are starting to show signs of ageing with dodgy switches, relays & dried out capacitors so do test before handing over any cash if possible. All of these problems are easily rectified but beware of unscrupulous sellers hiding or playing down faults. We had one recently where the amplifier was louder on one channel than the other, the seller just centered it with the balance control behind the flap...

If the remote control facility isnt a deal breaker the TA-F700ES is equally good IME... If anything, I preferred it a little bit
    And after James worked his magic on my 700ES I am truly impressed with it and would agree wholeheartedly...super Amp! and many thanks James...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast