+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics SL-P1200 Pro CD Player

MartinT Guest

Default Technics SL-P1200 Pro CD Player

Let's use this thread to discuss the merits of the acclaimed Technics deck. I know that Jerry (jandl100), Martin (Macca), Stephen (Mr Kipling) have one, and I'm about to take delivery of an ASC BBC version myself. Who else uses one, and what do you think of it?

I'm Andr'e.

I Don't use one but have a 'SL-P1000'.. There was a sit up & beg 'SL-P1300' aswell.

MartinT Guest

...and the original SL-P50.

I'm Andr'e.

Aye but that was an earlier machine. good un tho.. However ive always said the Techy 'SL-P1000' was the best CDP ever made at the time imho..

I'm Adam.

You can add me to the fan club. I've owned two, loved them to bits and still wish I'd kept one. They are fantastic to use, built like tanks and sound great, in a punchy, ballsy, lets-not-worry-too-much-about-delicacy kind of way!

As mentioned before, though, the SL-P50 is the one I'd really love to own. Sadly I've never even seen one, or heard of anyone who'e ever seen one either! I wonder how many they made?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    As mentioned before, though, the SL-P50 is the one I'd really love to own. Sadly I've never even seen one, or heard of anyone who'e ever seen one either! I wonder how many they made?
    Keep a careful eye out for studios chucking them out, not even realising their worth. They look a bit like some early HP console computers I remember.

I'm Andr'e.

Id have thought a lot of high qwality studio's would have opted for the Studer 'A730' machine instead so maybe not that many knocking about anyway..

I'm Peter.

I had one for a short while in the early 2000s. Beautifully engineered (you could have coined the phrase bomb-proof for this deck - I reminds me of the HiLux) and a very stable, authoritative signal. Its job, after all, was to serve up music all day in broadcast studios.

Per a recent thread, I'm sure there are better but at less than a monkey, I think they are the 2nd hand bargain.

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Nathan.

I have been running one for a couple of months now and I am really enjoying it. Mine is a slightly different edition in that it is as normal, but has balanced outputs.

The detail and width of soundstage is what hit me.

I've used a couple of different interconnects on it and find the latest set, a homebrew cable, makes the deck sound a little brighter, so I plan on rolling a few more cables.

I'd also like to see what a set of isonoes do for it.

Welcome to the club Martin.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    . They are fantastic to use, built like tanks and sound great, in a punchy, ballsy, lets-not-worry-too-much-about-delicacy kind of way!

?
    That was my opinion of it too until I ran it through my Akai loudspeakers at which point I realised that it did pretty much everything including the delicacy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast