+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The magic of Culzean

I'm Neil.

Default The magic of Culzean

Hi guys

Without doubt one of if not the best day in Scotland was had by myself and my wife a few days ago. Beautiful weather, scenery and somewhere new we had not visited before. So we went to Culzean Castle just a few miles south of Ayr. We new of Culzean mainly from a neighbour Ian who lived in the castle as a boy during the war. His parents worked in the castle when it was being used as base of operations for the American high command during the second world war. Ian one day walking to the castle in the rain was approached by a small convoy of military vehicles and one stopped and General Dwight D Eisenhower himself offered Ian a lift to the castle....WOW.

In the grounds of the castle there is a bookshop. I picked up two hard back books and 6 near mint classical albums on vinyl. Sadly to visit it you must pay to get into the grounds at the very least. We opted for castle and grounds £13 each..we choked at that but it was worth it.

Close to the Edge

The bay just below Culzean

Above us the walls

Main Gate

Gardens from the entrance Bridge

The Bookshop

Arran

Welcome to MY Castle

Is this pose okay

All images copyright of Argent Image.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-06-2009 at 20:35.
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Very nice Neil, a lovely looking place. Also you had the good weather too!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Neil,
    There's that fab Scottish light again.
    More great photos!

Are you there now?
    If so, you should get yourselves up to Drumlanrig, the Duke of Buccleuch's place (actually one of several) near Thornhill, it's only a short hop from Culzean. Fantastic castle & grounds, great art collection. I used to live in a cottage in the park there - my first job out of college was as assistant to the Forestry manager there.

If you're not there now, then just forget I said a thing!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Neil,
    There's that fab Scottish light again.
    More great photos!

Are you there now?
    If so, you should get yourselves up to Drumlanrig, the Duke of Buccleuch's place (actually one of several) near Thornhill, it's only a short hop from Culzean. Fantastic castle & grounds, great art collection. I used to live in a cottage in the park there - my first job out of college was as assistant to the Forestry manager there.

If you're not there now, then just forget I said a thing!

Hi Chris

You worked at Culzean or Drumlanrig ? I know Thornhill near Sterling. Yes Scottish light is magical and tuesday was very special. No we were over on a one day trip to liberate a certain item from neglect...more info to follow...in about a week; and enjoy the rest of the day at Culzean.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Confused.

Smile

Nice pics (as usual) Neil and a 'nice' price to pay to get them . I suppose Scotland needs all the revenue it can get for when it goes independent and we English stop keeping it afloat - that should elicit some mild responses from those north of Hadrians Wall, eh Ali?
    Peace and goodwill to all, and that includes Scotland !
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Steve.

In the news...

" Every day an area the size of Scotland clings to the rest of the UK for financial support..."

Just kidding! please no threats of violence!! ;-0

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Chris

You worked at Culzean or Drumlanrig ? I know Thornhill near Sterling. Yes Scottish light is magical and tuesday was very special. No we were over on a one day trip to liberate a certain item from neglect...more info to follow...in about a week; and enjoy the rest of the day at Culzean.

Regards D S D L
    I was at Drumlanrig, but I know Culzean well.
    Drumlanrig's near Thornhill in Dumfries & Galloway - about an hour's drive from Culzean. Midway(ish) between Dumfries & Ayr.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    Nice pics (as usual) Neil and a 'nice' price to pay to get them . I suppose Scotland needs all the revenue it can get for when it goes independent and we English stop keeping it afloat - that should elicit some mild responses from those north of Hadrians Wall, eh Ali?
    Peace and goodwill to all, and that includes Scotland !
    Dave.
    Well its a National Trust property they are based in England, and are IMHO rip off merchants. The trip cost £50...plus a few quid spenders cheap day out.

Well as someone who rails against English imperialism (you invaded in the first place) I am sure the Scots will celebrate the day they can shout "Free at Last". All slightly tongue in cheek of course. Anyway how does it feel to live in a country invaded and conquered by the Dutch ?

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-06-2009 at 20:57.
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

I am just jealous because Scotland has beautiful countryside, magificent coastlines,proper whisky and err...oh, free prescriptions!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I am sure the Scots will celebrate the day they can shout "Free at Last".
    .............in the meantime, they'll have to make do with playing the album by Mr Kossof & Co.

That's one argument I'm not getting into - the things I was held personally responsible for as an Englishman living in Scotland, you wouldn't believe!

Maggie Thatcher testing out the Poll Tax north of the Border?...........that was one of mine (apparently)!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast