+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strauss - 4 last Songs

I'm Paul.

Default Strauss - 4 last Songs

Not really a fan of most Lieder type music, I tried something with a little more orchestral substance, and after listening to a few, this version of Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs wowed with poignant atmosphere and the haunting emotion that Gundula Janowitz effortlessly portrays. What a beautiful voice!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post

Not really a fan of most Lieder type music, I tried something with a little more orchestral substance, and after listening to a few, this version of Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs wowed with poignant atmosphere and the haunting emotion that Gundula Janowitz effortlessly portrays. What a beautiful voice!
    Quite agree, absolutely wonderful. I have five versions and this is my favourite.

I am a great fan of Von Karajan, he finds the music in the notes. He only fails for me when he tries baroque music like Bach or Vivaldi. He treats it like classical and its nothing of the kind.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Quite agree, absolutely wonderful. I have five versions and this is my favourite.

I am a great fan of Von Karajan, he finds the music in the notes. He only fails for me when he tries baroque music like Bach or Vivaldi. He treats it like classical and its nothing of the kind.
    I agree. With the Last Four Songs, it is a close run thing between the Jessey Norman version and this. Both are incredible recordings really. VK and Baroque?! perish the thought. Neville Mariner or Angelo Ephrikian perhaps, but as you say, VK injects vitality into later classical, including Beethoven. Mind you, wasn't it Strauss who famously conducted an arrangement of Beethoven's 9th so fast it was over in 45 minutes or something?

I'm Nodrog.

I agree. With the Last Four Songs, it is a close run thing between the Jessey Norman version and this. Both are incredible recordings really. VK and Baroque?! perish the thought. Neville Mariner or Angelo Ephrikian perhaps, but as you say, VK injects vitality into later classical, including Beethoven. Mind you, wasn't it Strauss who famously conducted an arrangement of Beethoven's 9th so fast it was over in 45 minutes or something?
    My favourite Karajan LP is him on piano doing Shostakovitch Piano Concerto No2 / Ravel Piano Concerto in G major. Absolutely manic. Him doing the Ravel live is also on YouTube.

I'm Andrei.

Very humbling too is the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs for orchestra and soloist by Henryk Górecki. Likewise The Field of the Dead by Prokofiev.

I did not know of this version and it looks like a 'must get'. By the way is this CD or LP?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Very humbling too is the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs for orchestra and soloist by Henryk Górecki. Likewise The Field of the Dead by Prokofiev.

I did not know of this version and it looks like a 'must get'. By the way is this CD or LP?
    Hi Andrei. This is CD but a really nice recording. I prefer it to the Jessey Norman version having re-visited the Norman version last night. There's a glow to the voice of Gundula that few can match...her voice is tailor made for this piece imho. I'm afraid I find a lot of Gorecki rather depresseing in content and tone although his work is incredibly atmospheric. Prokofiev I do like.

I'm Malcolm.

I gave this a whirl on Spotify earlier and it's lovely... I wouldn't put it above my personal favourite (Te Kanawa/Solti) but I'd certainly put it in my upper echelons along with Jessye Norman, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf... I have a hankering to hear the Lucia Popp/Klaus Tennstedt one as well...

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post
    I gave this a whirl on Spotify earlier and it's lovely... I wouldn't put it above my personal favourite (Te Kanawa/Solti) but I'd certainly put it in my upper echelons along with Jessye Norman, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf... I have a hankering to hear the Lucia Popp/Klaus Tennstedt one as well...
    Yup, I have the Lucia Popp version too and its very good indeed, at least as good as Norman. Lets face it, they are all brilliant, its just a case of which one stirs the emotions the most. That is likely to be different for many of us.

I'm Buffet-blower.

I'm an unashamed Norman fan where 4LS is concerned - more down to the fact that the first time I saw them performed live was with her, than anything else and her interpretation has stuck with me ever since. The Janowitz is also gorgeous, and her voice is sublime, but there's some slightly suspect woodwind intonation at times which bothers me - BPO as well!! There is of course the bonus of Metamorphosen on the same disc which I love.

Bottom line though is that I find it difficult to listen to the end of 4LS without blubbing. It's truly special in a way which I can't put into words.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

Bottom line though is that I find it difficult to listen to the end of 4LS without blubbing. It's truly special in a way which I can't put into words.
    Quite right. The last song is really all about the final acceptance of the inevitable and, even before I got this close to the event, has always moved me to tears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast