+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good quality, cheap IEC power leads - recommendatioins?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs down Thread crapping

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    You'd better get yourself a helmet then Richard, because you can bet yer boots that there'll be another one to follow.....and another......and another....
    Indeed! Still got this bee in your bonnet about mains leads, Richard?

Well, it's going to be buzzing away for quite some time, if you remain a part of AoS... Get used to it, stop crapping on these threads that annoy you so, and embrace the fact that some of us use aftermarket mains reasons for genuine sonic reasons. Your interference here is of zero help to the OP.

I've warned you about this before, and so if I see any more posts like that from you, you'll be out for a week. This pointless 'campaign' of yours against 'fancy mains cables' ends now.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I do hope this thread draws it's last breath soon, because I have a grazed and sore forehead seeing it in the daily lists. Alex, let me know once you have them, if you are sure, money on the table sure, you can tell one cable from another true blind.
    Alex will hopefully tell us about his intent but the way I read it he's simply wanting well made mains leads with quality connectors, not the cheap and nasty stuff that comes with most kit.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Paul.

I have some sympathy with Gordon and Richard here. My experience trying a Russ Andrews budget lead on different pieces of equipment had varying results from substantial to no difference. I can only conclude the effect may depend both on mains quality and the quality of inbuilt transformers and mains regulation. Also I think there is a difference between spending on a reasonably priced cable that uses quality connections and one of those crazy priced things that claim the use of all sorts of dubious technology to 'improve' sound.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Whether you have sympathy with Richard or Gordon's view here is irrelevant.

The point is that this is not a tedious discussion about the efficacy or otherwise of aftermarket mains leads. The OP has asked for advice on which good quality, cheap aftermarket IEC power leads to buy, and advice relating to that is the ONLY input that will be permitted on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    I am interested in replacing my ragbag of freebie IEC mains leads with a decent set of aftermarket leads.
    Where does it indicate there that Alex wants to be told that anything better than his freebie mains leads is created by his 'imagination'?

If Richard or Gordon want to start another pointless and tedious circular argument about mains leads on a separate thread, then they can do so, and we'll see where it goes, but threads like this where members are asking specific questions about mains leads will not be allowed to be polluted by other people's agendas.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

Whether you have sympathy with Richard or Gordon's view here is irrelevant.

The point is, this is not a tedious discussion about the efficacy or otherwise of aftermarket mains leads. The OP has asked for advice on which good quality, cheap aftermarket IEC power leads to buy, and advice relating to that is the ONLY input that will be permitted on this thread.

If Richard or Gordon want to start another pointless and tedious circular argument about mains leads on a separate thread, then they can do so, and we'll see where it goes, but threads like this where members are asking specific questions about mains leads will not be allowed to be polluted by other people's agendas.

Marco.
    No Marco, I have no interest in any debate which is , as you point out, tedious and pointless. I have an interest in Alex's honest report of his findings when he makes the change, which is what I asked for. I have studiously avoided getting involved in any debate.

No Marco, I have no interest in any debate which is , as you point out, tedious and pointless. I have an interest in Alex's honest report of his findings when he makes the change, which is what I asked for. I have studiously avoided getting involved in any debate.
    Well, your earlier remarks about sore heads, or whatever, which Chris picked up on, were unacceptable and suggested the opposite of the above, so if you're to comment on this thread again, I want to see nothing unconstructive, in respect of the OP's original enquiry, about aftermarket mains leads.

Do I make myself clear?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well your earlier comments about sore heads, or whatever, which Chris picked up on, were unacceptable and suggested the opposite of the above, so if you're to comment on this thread again I want to see no mention of anything negative about aftermarket mains leads.

Do I make myself clear?

Marco.
    I think it may be time for me to join Arthur

Be my guest!

I do hope this thread draws it's last breath soon, because I have a grazed and sore forehead seeing it in the daily lists. Alex, let me know once you have them, if you are sure, money on the table sure, you can tell one cable from another true blind.
    You must think we're daft if you think the above isn't you having (yet another) snipe at someone who *might* consider that aftermarket mains leads are better than freebie ones. Why does that bother you so much?

Your mania about this, and your continual attempt to 'educate' others who may think differently to you in that respect is what is unacceptable, not your personal views on the matter that you're entitled to.

Why should Alex have any interest in blind testing whether whatever aftermarket mains leads he ends up buying are better than what he had before? He might do, but equally, he might just trust his ears!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Clive.

It looks like you've chosen to start an argument where none existed. Alex wants well made leads with decent connectors. Rather like someone who prefers a car with doors that close will a well-engineered sounding clunk. He's not suggesting better leads will transform his system, he may think this, he may not. He may simply want to feel good about having well made mains cables in his pride and joy system.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It looks like you've chosen to start an argument where none existed. Alex wants well made leads with decent connectors. Rather like someone who prefers a car with doors that close will a well-engineered sounding clunk. He's not suggesting better leads will transform his system, he may think this, he may not. He may simply want to feel good about having well made mains cables in his pride and joy system.
    Precisely, Clive!

The problem is, Richard is irked (hence the sore forehead reference earlier) whenever he sees a discussion of something purported to be worthwhile that doesn't conform to his beliefs, so he has to get in there and 'prove' that they (and it) are wrong, in order to make him feel better about being 'right'

An expert in cognitive dissonance would have a field day!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast