+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good quality, cheap IEC power leads - recommendatioins?

I'm Alex.

Default Good quality, cheap IEC power leads - recommendatioins?

Hi all,

At the risk of being told to search, I am interested in replacing my ragbag of freebie IEC mains leads with a decent set of aftermarket leads. I am looking for recommendations for my C-J PV15+ preamp and LP125S power amps, Cambridge audio 851C CD player and my squeezebox PSU.

I want some leads that have IEC sockets that make reliable contact and a decent amound of copper for the power amp. I need to do this economically as possible, and am interested in what people would recommend at the 'economy' end of the aftermarket spectrum.

I am DIY capable, so that is an option, but am also short of time so would prefer a decent premade aftermarket option. I am generally not a believer in audiophile foo, and can't/won't entertain silly priced options.

Thanks in advance for your input and personal recommendations.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Barry

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What Barry said. It is a satisfying little job, which does not take long and any dealer mark up not paid for can be deposited with your favourite publican/bookie instead!

It does not take proportionately longer to lash four or five up all at once given you have your tools, parts and workspace all prepared anyway. One dose of the Archers' ominbus on a Sunday and you'd be done!

I'm Neil.

You could also buy a hydra and wire in 4x or so IEC cables into a single socket.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    You could also buy a hydra and wire in 4x or so IEC cables into a single socket.
    Funnily enough, I still have one brand new one going begging (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...er-Naim-Hydra))! Yours for a fiver plus postage if interested.

best

P

I'm Alex.

Thank you Barry, Peter and Neil.

I would be interested in the Hydra soluton had I not just gone to the trouble of installing a new consumer unit and four double sockets on individual radial circuits, wired with 6mm sq twin and earth!.

Barry, thanks for the link to the DIY cable build instruction thread - it seems like a simple enough DIY project and it does meet my VFM criteria. I think I will go that route, and choose some nice but not outrageous IECs and plugs. Does anyone know the Lapp cable conductor diameter in the linked thread? I'm trying to identify the correct cable in the Lapp product catalogue, and I think it is available up to 2.5mm sq. Is this overkill, and would it make it difficult to fit plugs to?

Thanks again - keep the suggestions coming.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Brian.

Lapp Oflex is pretty good Alex ( 2'5mm cores ). It's the cable Rega use in their high end gear http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAPP-OLFLE...item231b0a5eb5
    The IEC plug looks like a Martin Kaiser http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARTIN-KAI...item2326157902
    I use these http://www.sonarquest.net/sonarquest...r-se-rc-t.html
    as they're excellent.
    MK plugs are usually pretty good
    The 2.5mm cable will fit into the Martin Kaiser with the outer sheath stripped off , but will fit into the Sonarquest plugs without any problem. Will also fit into the MK plugs with the outer sheath stripped off and the shielding stripped away.
    These are a good deal if you're not sure where to start http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/d...pp-cable.html#
    Last edited by brian2957; 05-03-2014 at 19:21.

I'm Neil.

Supra LoRad is also great and you don't need to solder the shield, so very easy for DIY too.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I believe the cable used in the article is Lapp Olflex SY 1125403, an armoured/screened cable having three cores of 2.5mm2 CSA (16A rating).

However their CY 1136403 cable is similar, but whose conductor insulation follows the current colour coding convention (brown, blue and green/yellow).

Barry

I'm Alex.

Thanks Brian, Neil and Barry,

That's great info.. exactly what I needed. I think I will do with the Lapp/Martin Kaiser/MK option. Can't go too far wrong at a tenner a lead. I'll look at some Supra LoRad also if it is a little more workable.

Best regards,
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast