+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mods list for Pioneer PDS?

I'm Andrew.

Default Mods list for Pioneer PDS?

I now have the Champers cdp that will hold me for a while, need a matching tt now fcs!
    However happy I am with it in stock form I do have the need to mod the crap out of it. Does anyone know of any pages or sites I might scour?
    I've done the usual and had a look at Mr Fikus' site and he doesn't do much more than lamp a similar deck.
    Is there a way I might strip away some digital tomfoolery?

Bloody pics, hang on!

I'm Andrew.

Somewhere is my pic of my Pioneer PDS-801 looking at home with the Sony.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Andrew.

Typical, a go ogle of the PD-S802 brought me to a thread on here.
    Couple of transferable hints though and there aint nothing like the smell of solder to get my creative side going...

I'm James.

My bog standard mods for the average player are:

Fit OPA2134 opamps, remove output coupling capacitors, Panasonic FC/FM before regs & Elna Silmic II after.... Makes a positive improvement every time & pretty cheap to implement. I don't like removing the muting transistors but lots do.

I'm Andrew.

Muting trannies and caps are my first victims usually and as such are now gone. First cdp I did that on was a cd50, scared the poop out of me when I turned it on first time but no pops with this deck.
    I'm looking at LM4562 or OPA2227 to replace the op amps, seem a popular pair although I shall look at your suggestions too now.
    I'm also going to replace the cack ribbon connectors with actual wire type wire.
    Power supply seems pretty good but I may do some cap upgrades in there as well as around the dacs.
    Would you believe Amazon list the op amps? Much easier than cpc/farnell to search too.

I'm James.

I've just had a proper look at the SM & if it were me...

IC854/855 are the I-V converter amp, you want the best quality opamps you can get... Its got 5532's fitted currently. OPA2604 would be my choice, they are a drop in replacement & the distortion spectrum has even harmonics predominating giving a "pleasant" sound. OPA2134 are also very good but less coloured.

C883/884 are the output coupling caps, best removed & a jumper fitted in their place... Your Sony amplifier has input coupling caps so it'll be fine.

C885/886 are the parallel output filtering caps, if ceramic remove them. They render everything flat, dull & tonally grey.

C879/880/881/882 are the opamps local power supply caps, fit something decent here like Nichicon KZ or Elna Cerafine.

C869/870/877/878 are the opamp feedback caps, fit polystyrene or polypropylene here if not already.

Q840/855 are the muting transistors, remove or leave... Up to you but i think you already have done.

I'm Andrew.

Nice, cheers for the input James. Current thoughts are focused on making this cdp nos. Its quite tricky as I can't see that anyone has done this so I'm making it up as I go along.
    Had to leave it for now as its making my head hurt and my mouth swear.
    I've a Sony mds on the way to act as a dac via the optical out while I feck around with the rest of it.
    Actually praying I get a job soon so I can give up on this "project", hit the web and find a nice Champagne ES cdp.

+ Reply to Thread