+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Amlodipine' High Blood Pressure Medication.

I'm Geoff.

Default 'Amlodipine' High Blood Pressure Medication.

I have had varying degrees of highish blood pressure for years.

Some months ago my GP put me on Amlodipine to treat this, since then I've developed what appear to be side effects. They have sneaked up on me, as initially I did not experience anything, then I became aware of feeling cold in the extremities all the time, a loss of enthusiasm and energy for anything, knee and hip pains, sleeping difficulty at night, but wanting to sleep at every opportunity during the day, vision haziness, appetite loss, etc.

I usually take my medication religiously, but today, for the second time, I forgot and the physical symptoms I described have all but vanished and I feel energetic. The first time I missed a dose I ended up taking it half a day late and although I seemed to feel somewhat better, it was less pronounced. I've not taken it at all today and I'll see how I am in the morning. If it's obvious that the lack of medication is making me feel that much better, then I'll tell the GP to find me something else or keep me off the stuff

I just checked my BP and its about normal at the moment without the meds.

I checked online to see what side effects were known for Amlodipine and it seems that everything I've experienced is well known, with many people rejecting it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Geoff you have PM.

I'm Tom.

Get yersel back to the quack smartish.

I was prescribed Clopidogrel which gave me terrible rashes but my useless doc refused to accept it was that drug which caused it. I have stopped taking it altogether as I couldn't stand the side effects.

synsei Guest

That's interesting Geoff, I've been on Amlodipine for years and suffer all the symptoms you describe to varying degrees, the worst being unable to sleep at night but sleeping like a log during the day, it drives my missus to distraction. We just put it down to one of my various conditions however now I know the actual cause I intend to do something about, thanks a lot dude...

I'm Geoff.

I had a feeling I'd not be alone. I suspect we rather tend not to be outstandingly healthy here on AOS (speaking for myself only of course). I expect the balance of ages and possibly sedentary lifestyles/occupations (and bad habits?) may be a factor.

Anyway, if I've helped anybody by broadcasting my situation I'm pleased. See your GP if you relate to any of the symptoms/side effects I've described.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'll see how I am in the morning. If it's obvious that the lack of medication is making me feel that much better, then I'll tell the GP to find me something else or keep me off the stuff.
    Well I slept OK and my joint aches and pains are all but gone and I feel clear headed. My BP measured 138 over 90 just now (slightly high, but it will go down over the day), so I've made an appointment to visit the GP this afternoon. No way am I taking Amlodipine again.

I'm Geoff.

After the visit to the doctor I'm now off Amlodipine and having a four week respite before being offered an alternative.

I'm Tom.

Lock up your daughters, Geoff's getting his libido back

I'm Confused.

I know it's obvious but it may do some good to repeat it. If you get any potentially adverse effects, even if you're not sure whether they are due to any meds you are taking, (and this includes over the counter 'aids'), go and talk to your GP. I'm speaking from experience here. Maybe I'm fortunate in having an understanding GP but in the last 6 or 7 years, after having a 'mini-stroke', I have taken a cocktail of 6 different medications for conditions the hospital treating me for my 'mini-stroke' identified that I was suffering from. Over that period 3 of those meds have been changed at my request because I suspected side effects.
    Another thing worth considering is to use a site like http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker (there are many others, just do a Google for 'Drug interactions') where you can see if any of your meds and OTC concoctions are known to react with any others.
    If you don't take some responsibility for your own well being I don't see how you can expect anyone else to do so. Remember the old saying: We have to live with our mistakes but Doctors bury theirs .
    Take care.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast