• 8 out of 10

3 17.65%
  • 9 out of 10

2 11.76%
  • 10 out of 10

2 11.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Album Club - Week 132: 11/02/2014: Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love (2004)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    That's why I think you and I fundamentally listen to music in different ways
    Now that I think is very true Martin - Bryan Ferry though is quite a good example as unfortunately he suffers from memory loss and can no longer remember his words, so his diction is dreadful as he's reading a song sheet and not really projecting his performance into a microphone. I was very disappointed the last time is saw him.

I think I'm at odds with the majority here to be perfectly frank, as live music is where its really at as far as I'm concerned - the performance for me is so much more than listening at home, so yup we are very different animals. I still lurves you though
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

I still enjoy a good live performance I used to average 2 to 3 concerts a week which I did for around 20 years mostly at small dingy clubs like the Marquee
    For me they are different experiences a live band you get the atmosphere and energy that no listening experience comes close
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    . . . the atmosphere and energy that no listening experience comes close
    That pretty much sums it up for me too John.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

And for me too!
    Barry

MartinT Guest

I feel differently about classical concerts, being as they are acoustic. For me, live performance of a classical work is the pinnacle of musical experience.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    For me, live performance of a classical work is the pinnacle of musical experience.
    Definitely on the same page here Martin, live classical is the only music that can repeatedly make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and send a chill down my spine. Mahler 9 during the adagio does it every single time I hear it.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Now that I think is very true Martin - Bryan Ferry though is quite a good example as unfortunately he suffers from memory loss and can no longer remember his words, so his diction is dreadful as he's reading a song sheet and not really projecting his performance into a microphone. I was very disappointed the last time I saw him.
    I had heard a sad rumour about this. Do you know it's definitely true ?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post

Dec 2012 - does it look like he is reading the words ? - pretty fluent performance.

Paul.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    I saw him in Bournemouth awhile back and was standing right in front of him. There was a music stand to his left and at first I thought it was just a set-list, but it became apparent they were lyrics which he was reading during the songs. This for me disconnected him from the audience as his concentration was on the music stand instead of making eye contact with those out front and as Martin commented on, his diction was quite poor. This was for songs that were his, not just some of the covers he performed, so those words should be ingrained.

Additionally on the floor by his feet were taped the names of his band and backing singers, which he referred to as he introduced them. Most folk would have missed this, but as I was just a few feet away I could see what was going on and I'm a bit of a nosy bugger and tend to take notice of what's going on around me. This was half-way through the tour too, so not as if they were strangers on stage with him. It could be just unfamiliarity, but it certainly didn't appear that way. I still enjoyed the show, but there was something missing compared to when I have seen him before, as I really rate Bryan Ferry as both a live performer and songwriter.

MartinT Guest

I have to say we found his recent concert at the Albert Hall superb. We weren't aware of any difficulties he was having with reading lyrics or band member names. Very sad, memory issues like that, and I bet he finds it very frustrating. It's even harder to absorb as we both commented on how youthful he looks for his age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234