+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-S1S - Any views or opinions?

I'm gone.

It was fleaBay, and I've had several dealings with Nick at The Emporium in the past - all 100% top notch. I'm not really worried, just baffled! ... and curious if anyone knew what was going on there - I think the website has been down for some while.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If you've dealt with him before on a few occasions then there shouldn't be anything to worry about

Websites go down all the time, and sometimes for long periods. It happens here, too.

I do sympathise though, as one of my major 'bugbears' in life is people who don't respond promptly to emails and/or return phone calls as promised. I am very proactive in that sense, and expect others to be the same, especially when running a business.

Keep us posted.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I wouldnt worry too much jerry - Nick has been around for a long time, his web site is not the most relaiable and hardly ever up to date - he seems to be away a lot but I have no doubt you will catch up with him at some point - manyana, chillax as my 14 yr old would say - which implies her room will be tidied on her timescales not mine and that worrying about this is only gonna end in tears (mine)

I'm gone.

It arrived in today's post.

Here it is, in its new home, in a Denon Headshell, on a Denon TT.

'Holographic' is the first word that comes to mind.

Not sure it's tracking 100% yet - I currently have it in a med/hi mass arm wand. Would it be better in a low mass arm wand, do you think?

It's a high compliance cart at 14+ so it definately needs a low mass arm Jerry.
    Nick.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    It's a high compliance cart at 14+ so it definately needs a low mass arm Jerry.
    Yup, I completely agree! I've now mounted it in the lo-mass tonearm and it is obviously much happier.

Mind you, after 'holographic', the 2nd and 3rd words that now come to mind are lightweight and insubstantial. Maybe I'm a bass-head like Marco?!

Early days yet, and I probably need to acclimatise after my Ortofon Rondo Bronze ....

Hi Jerry,

First of all, I'm very glad your concerns earlier were unjustified

What you're hearing so far with the DL-S1 is basically correct. You will remember that I alluded earlier to its bass lightness, especially compared to a DL-103 of any description, hence why I didn't buy one.

The DL-S1 is definitely from the 'light & airy' school of thought, and will be poles apart from the Rondo Bronze you were used to up until now! Therefore some acclimatisation is due.

However, you should be getting a little more weight and body than you're describing, and a lovely rich tonality in the midrange, so my suspicions are that it is perhaps not the most synergistic match with your Whest, which itself in my experience majors on neutrality and detail more than it does on drive and impact.

I'm not saying it's necessarily lacking in those areas, but there are other phono stages I would use first with the DL-S1, namely a valve-based one. You will also find that if you tried the DL-S1 in conjunction with an SUT or head amp into the MM stage of your Whest (presuming it has one) the presentation would have more texture and body. This is what my experiments in that area have shown with Denon cartridges outside of the DL-110 and 160.

Therefore, should you wish to borrow the HA-500 (I don't think the A23 would be suitable) then just let me know. In the meantime, you could try a slightly heavier headshell (not too much though) than the one you're using (if you have one) on your lighter arm wand. Sometimes this works and fills in the bottom end a little.

How heavy is the headshell you're using at the moment? I reckon one of the Sumikos (used 'as is' with no extra mass added) would work very well. Let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jerry,

First of all, I'm very glad your concerns earlier were unjustified
    More curiosity as to what was going on with The Emporium than a concern.

The DL-S1 is definitely from the 'light & airy' school of thought, and will be poles apart from the Rondo Bronze you were used to up until now! Therefore some acclimatisation is due.
    Yup, I really miss the Rondo's weight & power in the mids and upper bass.

However, you should be getting a little more weight and body than you're describing, and a lovely rich tonality in the midrange,
    That's what I thought, too. The mid is nice and smooth and very detailed, but lacks a little in the warmth and presence departments.

so my suspicions are that it is perhaps not the most synergistic match with your Whest, which itself in my experience majors on neutrality and detail more than it does on drive and impact.
    I quite agree. I would go as far as saying the WhestTWO is a bit bright and forward. Def not what the Denon S1 is after, I fear. But it is a good match, I have found, with the Denon tt overall, which has a somewhat soft and laidback sound to it.

You will also find that if you tried the DL-S1 in conjunction with an SUT or head amp into the MM stage of your Whest (presuming it has one) the presentation would have more texture and body.

Therefore, should you wish to borrow the HA-500 (I don't think the A23 would be suitable) then just let me know.
    Thanks again for the offer. To be honest though - I'd be surprised if it swayed it sufficiently in the direction I would like the sound to go in. And I have a 7 day return period on the cart, so I don't really have much time for too many postal shenanigans. Also, given that I am pretty happy with the Rondo (more so now than ever!) I'm not sure I really want more expense in the form of a SUT.

In the meantime, you could try a slightly heavier headshell (not too much though) than the one you're using (if you have one) on your lighter arm wand. Sometimes this works and fills in the bottom end a little.
    Nope, no can do. My Denon tt comes with two arm wands. A high mass with a detachable headshell, and a low mass with a minimal fixed headshell. I gues I could blu-tac a washer or something to the headshell to add some mass and also damp it ....

I'll give myself another day or so with the wee beastie, but I have a feeling that it will not be staying chez-Jerry.

I'm gone.

Well, I returned the wee beastie.

It arrived with Nick at The Emporium today, and I have received an immediate refund! You cannot get better service than that. Many thanks, Nick.

... He also refunded the postage costs he incurred. That can't be right, so I've sent him a payment to cover that.

Hi Jerry,

I suspected that's what would happen, as it didn't sound like it was quite your thing.

If you'd had a different phono stage the results I'm sure would have been more preferable, but that's just the way it goes...

If you fancy trying another cartridge, and like what the 103 does but want more detail and finesse, I'd thoroughly recommend the 103SA, which you can get for £385 from Ian Harrison in Leicester, or Dave Cawley here will I'm sure match his price

Trust me, the 103SA is stunningly good and will suit your Whest nicely.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast