I tend to use WAV and mp3 myself, but I can't help feeling that the inventors of the various formats may well have been pushing their warez in the same way that we were told how much better Freeview reception would be compared to good old analogue. So I have now started to rip a number of my discs into a range of formats. My intention is to then sit down and listen to each format across a range of musical dimensions.

My aim is to try to find out if one audio format is more suitable for a particular type of instrumental arrangement over another. Or if even male and female vocals sound better in one over the other.

I got the idea after accidentally noticing that the so called lossless ripping formats did not equate to an equally dynamic and engaging encounter between one track and another. I use air pressure level ( i.e. chest thumps and gut pains) and floor vibrations to make certain observations when I tweak my DACs.

If anyone has done any similar work, please spill the beans. All research material and input are most welcome. Let's drag that old wife out of the cupboard and hear what tales he has to tell us.

STan