+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free-Sat/Digital Recorder recommendations

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Question Free-Sat/Digital Recorder recommendations

Guys,

My parents are looking to move from using a Freeview box with their (HD compatible Samsung flat-screen TV), to a Free-Sat/Digital recorder set-up, including having a satellite dish installed from scratch, for the first time.

Therefore, as I know less than nothing about these things, I'd like some reccos from the 'tech-savy' folks here for the best Free-sat set-up, consisting of the supply of new a dish and complete installation of everything, including a suitable digital recorder.

In terms of the latter, I was thinking of the Humax HDR-1000S (my parents wouldn't really want to spend any more than £250 on the recorder itself). Curry's have offered them a deal of supplying the Humax, a new dish, and full installation of everything for £304.99, which having shopped around a bit seems pretty good.

Questions:

1) Is the Humax the best Free-sat recorder to have for the money, and if not, what is (in terms of ease of use, reliability and performance)? Perhaps the Samsung SMT-S7800?

2) Would it be better to buy the recorder separately from, say, Richer Sounds, who have the Humax on sale for £199.99 (the cheapest I've seen it): http://www.richersounds.com/product/...reesat-g2-500g as opposed to the £209.99 of Curry's) and get a local TV and satellite firm to install everything and supply the dish?

3) Is there anything else they should be considering?

Cheers, chaps!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mark.

Are you sure they need Freesat ?
    Are there channels on Freesat needed that are not of freeview?

The Humax Freeview HD recorders are very good and no need for dish.

Will post links to boxes when I know what is needed

Thanks, Mark. It's just dawned on me - do you sell some of this stuff, mate? I never even thought!

What channels are available on the Humax Freeview HD recorders? I think much depends on the signal you get in the area of installation, but if there is a 'stock list' of channels available, it would be handy to know (my mum watches mainly old films, old comedies and game shows, so access to the likes of UK Gold and Challenge are important)

Is Internet radio available with the Freeview HD recorders, or only with Free-sat? That's something my dad would definitely use, as he'd listen to the Scottish football on Sportsound, on BBC Radio Scotland, which he used to do up in Glasgow.

Also, one of the reasons for selecting Free-sat was the consideration that, with TVs now being supplied with Freeview built-in (and my parents not wanting to change their current basic flat-screen TV until it goes pop), Freeview boxes may be in danger of becoming defunct, and thus no longer supported, whereas with Free-sat that wouldn't be a consideration.

What's your view on that, dude?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this, until Mark comes back?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Marco, it's worth checking with your parents what particular channels they like as, whilst both Freeview and Freesat have the same core channels, they differ in their provision of the smaller ones. As an example off the top of my head, Freeview has Dave and Quest but Freesat doesn't, whereas Freesat has the likes of CBS Action and the Horror channel but Freeview doesn't.

Channel lists here for Freeview: http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels
    And here for Freesat: http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

We had an enfoced change to Freesat when we moved house two years ago as there is the square root of naff all Freeview signal where we now live - luckily there was already a dish on the house. I bought a Humax Foxsat HDR box and have to say I've been very impressed with it and don't miss Freeview at all. Well, apart from when I have the occasional hankering to watch a repeat of a 2003 episode of Top Gear on Dave, but that doesn't happen all that often... As a bonus, the Freesat signal is stronger and generally much more reliable.

The Currys all-in price does sound quite good but, then again, this does mean dealing with Currys - caveat emptor!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Thanks for the info, Adam. The channel lists in particular are useful

I note that Freeview doesn't offer BBC Radio Scotland, which would pretty much rule it out for my dad, as one of the things that attracted him to upgrade from his current (old) Freeview box, is being able to tune into live football commentary, in the SPL, which he used to do up in Scotland.

Furthermore, given the fact that TVs now are being produced with Freeview built-in, one wonders how long separate Freeview boxes will continue being made? I'd like this set-up to be as 'future-proofed' as possible, which makes me side more with the idea of getting a dish fitted and going with Free-sat.

One question: if they go with Free-sat, and have a dish fitted, could SKY Sports be added later to the Free-sat package, or is that a different thing entirely? And if that is possible, would it all work from the same dish?

I know what you mean about Currys, which is why I wondered if there would be any benefit in buying the Humax unit from an external supplier and then getting a local TV/satellite firm to install it, along with a suitable dish.... At least then, there would be a professional point of contact available, should anything go wrong with the installation in future, rather than having to deal with Currys.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    One question: if they go with Free-sat, and have a dish fitted, could SKY Sports be added later to the Free-sat package, or is that a different thing entirely? And if that is possible, would it all work from the same dish?
    I don't think you can do this unless you go for a 'Freesat from Sky' package, which offers the same basic satellite channels for free but allows you to upgrade to Sky Digital and buy packages. As far as I know, the dish is the same, though - the people in our house before us used the dish we have to receive Sky.

Sky Freesat/Normal Freesat/Freeview comparison here: http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home...hoose-freesat/
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

Sky Freesat/Normal Freesat/Freeview comparison here: http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home...hoose-freesat/
    Sky are a bit misleading as unless things have changed very recently you cant record freesat on a freesat from sky box unless you pay a monthly subscription,

They make it look good with more channels but don't tell the whole story.

a question on the support forum:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/TV-Equip.../qaq-p/1452095

Looks like it is £10.25 a month to record free television even though the box was bought for £175.
    I bet that catches a lot of people out.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I note that Freeview doesn't offer BBC Radio Scotland, which would pretty much rule it out for my dad, as one of the things that attracted him to upgrade from his current (old) Freeview box, is being able to tune into live football commentary, in the SPL, which he used to do up in Scotland.
    Marco.
    That answers it, Freesat it is then

The Humax are good.

I usually buy from Humax direct for myself or family members etc, nearly always the 'Managers Specials' which are returns I think.
    All have been as new so far.

http://www1.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct...all?ck=factory

Only a 1 year on site swap out warranty but they are cheap enough.

Or Richer Sounds and pay a bit extra for the 5 year warranty.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...reesat-g2-500g

Chester might be the nearest branch and they can usually recommend an installer.
    http://www.richersounds.com/stores/chester

I'm Lee.

Marco, I'll chip in if I may with a thought you've no doubt already considered.

How about contacting a local supplier/installer and quote them the two prices you've been given (richer sounds box and currys all in) and see if they can match or better the currys deal. They may even supply the humax themselves and I'm sure they'd be happy with the business. Plus, you'll probably get better service and support from them and more chance of customising the install to your parents liking.

Tbh, I'd pay £10 or so more to avoid currys.

Good luck.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast