• 8 out of 10

2 14.29%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

2 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 130: 28/01/2014: Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (1971)

I'm ILOB.

For me some of the receptive side is connected to more traditional Japanese music at times I can really hear those eastern influences along with the Sabbath influences
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

If they shot the vocalist this would be better. Some nice guitar work and I enjoyed the lighter sections. The heavy stuff was a second rate Sabbath impression. The Japs were rather better at copying cars and hi-fi plus turning out a more reliable product than doing western rock. Still enough good stuff to give it a 5/10.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Ah OK, sorry I misunderstood slightly - it was your mention of Make Up and Hiroshima that made me think you'd heard this album and others.
    I always think that when we hear something retrospectively, it's easy to forget the context of when it was released. The Beatles seem unremarkable to many kids of today because of all of the stuff that came afterwards that was strongly influenced by it. Most of what was shocking about punk to so many people at the time seems tame and poppy today.
    Put yourself in the shoes of someone hearing this in 1971 - it will have seemed quite unique and as I said in the OP, if you listen into this recording there is more there than at first it may seem.
    No, I just meant that , compared to the rest of the album those tracks sounded like a different band. I don't think that I'd have been over impressed even if I'd heard the album in 1971, there was much more innovative music around at the time. I take your point about context, but there are plenty of albums that I listened to back then that I still enjoy, good music is still good music 40 years on. You wouldn't say of Beethoven, "well, it was good for the time, but Wagner (say) makes him sound second rate."

I'm Martin.

Sorry Chris not my taste in music.
    I can hear thew influences of eastern music mixed with rock, but it was hard going listening to the whole album - too repetitive for my liking. 3/10.

I'm paul.

having now received my vinyl copy I want to revise my score
    this deserves a 9
    awesome
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm ChrisB.

Good stuff Paul, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I'm paul.

Lovin it
    these guys are to Sabbath
    as the 5678's are to the spice girls
    woo hoo

Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Rich.

Sorry, I couldn't get through the whole album for the reasons the others have given, those vocals, the repetitive guitar, the iffy sounding production. Yes I could hear the east-west influence but it left me cold and I quit half way though... As I wimped out I didn't vote.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm paul.

I love his voice listening to shadows of lost days now on the make up album
    wonderful
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm ChrisB.

Did you buy 'Anywhere' and 'Made in Japan' as well Paul?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast