• 8 out of 10

2 14.29%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

2 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 130: 28/01/2014: Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (1971)

I'm ChrisB.

Yes, the Hawkwind reference was maybe streching a point a bit far. I was thinking of the chant-like repetitiveness of some Hawkwind stuff - the concept of the delivery rather than the actual sound!

I'm paul.

what a great intro had me hooked before I had even played it , I had never heard of this guy/band and am glad I now have, I don't think spotify does it justice on my system so have ordered the vinyl along with a copy of Anywhere, make up, and made in Japan , yep I've got it bad. Another great album club album cheers Mr Wazoo 8/10 from me
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm ChrisB.

Wow Paul, that shows real commitment!
    Glad you like it.

I'm David.

The closest I came to a Satori moment was when the music stopped! For me the tracks were just too long and repetitive, some uninspired riffs repeated ad nauseam. The lead guitarist isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Not enough contrast or variation between the Satori tracks to maintain my interest. Satori IV had its moments, which reminded me somewhat of The Plastic People of the Universe , which is the closest I can come to a compliment. Then we came to Make Up, and Hiroshima which sounded like they were recorded by a completely different and more accomplished band! Not something I’d probably ever listen to again.
    Last edited by mr sneff; 29-01-2014 at 21:55. Reason: spelling

I'm paul.

hi Chris,yes while it may not be the most polished playing they sound so into it and that's what I love , I bet they are/were phenomenal live ,thanks again for the introduction ,I cant wait to hear the other albums
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm ChrisB.

Thanks for your comments David. It's your prerogative to hate it, of course, but can I ask when you first heard it? You seem to already know the album and band and I'd be interested to know if you formed that opinion when it was relatively recently released, or if your comments are made more in light of other music that has come in the interim.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Even the oh-so-Japanese vocalist is trying to be a cross between Ozzie and Coverdale.
    I'd be surprised if he'd ever heard David Coverdale by the time Satori was recorded, Martin, but here's an interesting fact about Joe Yamanaka: He was a friend of Bob Marley and after Marley died in 1981, The Wailers continued to perform and record (as they do now). Joe was the lead vocalist and recorded several albums with the band through the 1980's.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Thanks for your comments David. It's your prerogative to hate it, of course, but can I ask when you first heard it? You seem to already know the album and band and I'd be interested to know if you formed that opinion when it was relatively recently released, or if your comments are made more in light of other music that has come in the interim.
    Chris, I'd not heard the band before this evening! Not sure what gave you the impression that I knew the band. Checking on Wiki, the Plastic People of the Universe album that parts of Satori reminded me of, Egon Bondy's Happy Hearts Club Banned was released in 1974. So Satori predates it, but I find PPOTU to be more innovative.

I'm ChrisB.

Ah OK, sorry I misunderstood slightly - it was your mention of Make Up and Hiroshima that made me think you'd heard this album and others.
    I always think that when we hear something retrospectively, it's easy to forget the context of when it was released. The Beatles seem unremarkable to many kids of today because of all of the stuff that came afterwards that was strongly influenced by it. Most of what was shocking about punk to so many people at the time seems tame and poppy today.
    Put yourself in the shoes of someone hearing this in 1971 - it will have seemed quite unique and as I said in the OP, if you listen into this recording there is more there than at first it may seem.

I'm John.

Yes I really like this album. Whilst their influences and references (early Sabbath especially) are never too far away they get into some nice looping repetitive grooves.....reminds me of some 1970s Faust stuff in places (Faust IV, Faust Tapes).....I'll certainly continue to listen and check out more Flower Travellin' Band.
    Thanks
    8/10 for me.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast