• 8 out of 10

2 14.29%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

2 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 130: 28/01/2014: Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (1971)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 130: 28/01/2014: Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (1971)

Chris (The Grand Wazoo) has chosen this week's album for us to listen to, comment and vote on.
    Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (1971)

Album on Spotify:

Album on YouTube:

The Soundbite:

Earlier today I was trying to describe this album succinctly and I said it's a bit like the bastard son of the first Black Sabbath album and 'Space Ritual', but born in the maternity ward of Fukushima General Hospital.

A Brief History:

It's 1966 and a famous rockin' teen combo from the UK fly to Japan to do some gigs. Yuya Uchida, a local lad who's released a few rockabilly singles but had already realised that this English band were going to change everything so he writes a song which is played by the support act for the gig at the Budokan Hall

The bass guitarist/singer of the headline band said:
    There was a funny local group on stage before us. This was in the days when the Japanese didn't really know how to do rock'n'roll, although they've now got the hang of it pretty well. They sang a song that went, 'Hello Beatles! Welcome Beatles!' - something pretty naff in rock'n'roll terms, but it was very nice of them to do it. Our show went down quite well.
    Yuya Uchida flies off to Europe to spend some time immersing himself in the new music scene in London and other cities. He's profoundly influenced by some of the bands that he experiences. Our man Yuya is shocked and amazed by what he hears and trundles back home after a while with a plan to form his own band so he can produce an album to introduce his fellow countrymen to some of the music that had such a profound effect on him.

The music he records (acting mainly as producer) is mostly covers of Cream, Hendrix, The Airplane, Janis..... It's released under the title of 'Challenge' by Yuya Uchida and the Flowers. The first challenge to ultra conservative Japanese society is that the album cover has a photo of the band standing around naked in a meadow!

The next album, 'Anywhere' is recorded by a mostly new band, with a mostly new name - Flower Travellin' Band. As before, it's also a covers record with a sleeve photo of naked band members - only this time they're roaring out of the meadow on motorbikes. The music has become rather more aggressive too - a long way from the pastoral hippy scene portrayed on the sleeve of the first album - much darker and moodier. And heavy....very heavy. The covers include a version of the track 'Black Sabbath' and an astonishing version of '21st Century Schizoid Man'. They are a clue to the sound of the other music that the band were working on at the same time, for what will be their third album - 'Satori' the first to contain all original material.

Why You Should Play It:

When I first heard 'Satori' I realised it's an album unlike any I'd ever heard. You can hear the Black Sabbath influence - that runs right through the very centre of the whole album, but there is also a raga-like Indian theme. The band had now become reduced to a trio of musicians and the sound is stripped down - no keyboards and the drumming is sparser but much, much more forceful. Yuya's musical contribution is reduced to playing a little 'lead tambourine'(!) This leaner arrangement accentuates what's going on with the remarkable guitar playing from Hideki Ishima. The tracks don't have names as such - just 'Satori, Part 1','2','3','4' and '5' and it's not exactly bursting with profoundly poetic lyrics but I love the guitar sounds and the jamming around a theme and just the fact that it's different. If you like a big meaty riff, then this album may be just what you're looking for. People who've discovered it rave about it and tell anyone who'll listen, however, some people just don't get it and dismiss it as noisy, repetitive and derivative, but I feel that's a rather superficial conclusion, because, if you reach into it, you'll find quite a lot of variety, should you make the effort to look for it. Also, given the time and place it was recorded, it was anything but derivative.

If you look around the web, you'll find plenty of people with such good things to say about Satori that you have to wonder why it's not more well known in the West.

The Reviews:

Allmusic:
    From power chords to Eastern-tinged, North African, six-string freakouts, to crashing tom toms, to basses blasting into the red zone, Satori is a journey to the center of someplace that seems familiar but has never before been visited. It is a new sonic universe constructed from cast-off elements of the popular culture of the LSD generation. Forget everything you know about hard rock from the 1970s until you've put this one through your headphones. It's monolithic, expansive, flipped to wig city, and full of a beach blanket bong-out muscularity. In other words, this is a "real" classic and worth any price you happen to pay for it.

In the Wake of Poseidon (blog)
    The record is druggy and epic with riffs that could end any stoner metal head's life......... "Satori, Pt. 1" is a triumphant blast of sludging riffage with howling moans care of Akira "Joe" Yamanaka. He is Japans answer to Robert Plant. When Yamanaka screams at the beginning of the song, you are sent into a destructive riff that starts slow and then picks up the pace. It is structured much like anything off of Black Sabbath's self titled record.

The Guardian Musicblog
    Satori was – and still is – a remarkable album; heavier than a bull elephant's work boot, but still startlingly inventive, it blends edge-of-your-seat psychedelic shamanism with hair-shaking proto-metal rifferama. Ishima is a staggeringly good guitarist – Satori's separate parts are built on his scorchingly bright lead and thunderous crunch, while Joe Yamanaka's three-octave voice threatens – more than once – to boil the liquid on your eyeballs as it sails, somewhere beyond full-tilt, past your terrified earlobes and out into the ether.

Probably the biggest champion of the album in recent years is Julian Cope, who wrote an excellent book called 'Japrocksampler'. At the end, he lists his Top 50 Japrock albums, at the top of which, resides 'Satori'. His final few words sum it up:
    The sound was sensational and the playing superb, high above the Japanese standard of the day and infinitely beyond Flowers' feet-of-clay labelmates Speed, Glue & Shinki. Indeed, so out on a limb was Satori that it still defies comparison with other records. They just haven't really been recorded yet.

Conclusion:

I hope at least some of you will enjoy it. It's going to be a very split vote I think, but love it or hate it, you can't deny it's uniqueness, especially for the time it was recorded.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 28-01-2014 at 08:37.

I'm John.

Chris, I've had a copy of Japrocksampler for years but have never been brave enough to dive in. Hopefully this will give me the momentum. Looking forward to listening.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm ChrisB.

It's a good book John, but only one person's view! I disagree with his rankings of some albums and I'd put a couple in and chuck a couple out, but it's probably an excellent place to start an exploration of a fascinating music scene, working well in conjunction with a Spotify account, as they have a fairly good number of those albums now - and seemingly getting more as time goes on. That's the beauty of Spotify - it's the ultimate opportunity to try before you buy.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 28-01-2014 at 00:41. Reason: Clarification

I'm ILOB.

I am loving this You can hear this real east meets west vibe going on; combining Japanese Shamanism with Heavy rock and a Psychedelic freak out
    I am going to have to get this album I just love it
    Well done Chris a brave choice that people will either love or hate a 10 for me
    I just ordered the vinyl version
    Last edited by John; 28-01-2014 at 05:59.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

Glad you like it John. I suspect that your system is tailor-made to show it off well!

I'm ILOB.

Yes looking forward to hearing it in its full glory
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    It's a good book John, but only one person's view! I disagree with his rankings of some albums and I'd put a couple in and chuck a couple out, but it's probably an excellent place to start an exploration of a fascinating music scene, working well in conjunction with a Spotify account, as they have a fairly good number of those albums now - and seemingly getting more as time goes on. That's the beauty of Spotify - it's the ultimate opportunity to try before you buy.
    Thanks Chris. I will take your advice.

It may only be one person's view, but that person's view is surely to be trusted from all the evidence!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

synsei Guest

I'm sorry Chris but this really isn't my cup of tea, after a while the constant whine of the lead guitar really began to grate, brave choice though 3/10

I'm ChrisB.

No worries Dave - I'm sure you won't be the last! Thanks for giving it a go though.

MartinT Guest

Well I can certainly hear the Sabbath influence - raw crunchy guitar and big riffy vibe with meaty drums. Even the oh-so-Japanese vocalist is trying to be a cross between Ozzie and Coverdale. I hear less coming from Hawkwind, none of their sweeping organic spaceiness. It's fun, though, and quite infectious. I'm not sure how to mark it as I don't know how often I'd want to listen to it. 6/10, I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast