+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer A 500

I'm tony.

Default Behringer A 500

Can anyone with experience of one of these amps give me an honest opinion? Helluva lot of amp for the money, I can run it as a mono block so looking at two. If its no great shakes sonically I would prefer to know.

I'm Martin.

I've got a couple of them for sale if you want to try them out cheap. Say a ton forty for the pair plus delivery.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Should mention if you want to monoblock them it has to be into 8 ohms or greater. Which is why I bought them and why I don't use them. Oh and they dont like the croft micro basic pre amp. But sound fine with my other pre amps.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Rob.

I used a single one as the bass amp in my previous active setup. Either up to around 800Hz or 2kHz and I thought it sounded excellent, as much power as you could realistically need and it ran cool even when used at higher levels and long periods.
    Mine had an issue with hum but that was solved running the front pots down to half way and using a bit more on the pre volume (or gain in the MiniDSP/active crossover).
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Should mention if you want to monoblock them it has to be into 8 ohms or greater. Which is why I bought them and why I don't use them. Oh and they dont like the croft micro basic pre amp. But sound fine with my other pre amps.
    PM sent

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Intend to give them a go with a tisbury pre and 63s/Spendor SP1s.......some SS oumph!
    Read Jerries (jandl) write up on the wam.....will give it a go and let folks know how I get on.......

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    PM sent
    Replied
    Current Lash Up:

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Intend to give them a go with a tisbury pre and 63s/Spendor SP1s.......some SS oumph!
    Read Jerries (jandl) write up on the wam.....will give it a go and let folks know how I get on.......
    No disrespect, but if this amp doesn't like the Croft basic preamp, then a passive may actually be even worse.. The better solid state preamps offer a very low output impedance which should be fine I think. You can buy some good oldies for not too much - MF XP 100, original Cyrus preamp and AVI S2000 are three that come immediately to mind. I haven't used the TEC one for £60 or so, but the chip used should be good for this purpose....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm tony.

Dave,
    Will give it a go with the passive....should be interesting!!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Good for you and I genuinely hope it works well for you
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast