+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The best XLR plugs

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    But if you've 'invested' tons of your own money on bling products then you 'would' prefer it, wouldn't you, to save face if nothing else!
    Not at all, Dave. See my post above, which shows how I ditched the 'bling' Furutech XLR plug (which I'd bought and wanted to be the best) for a superior, much less 'bling', cheaper, Yaeger connector...

At the end of the day, all that matters to me is what performs the best, sonically. I couldn't give a damn what costs more, looks better or has the most 'desirable' badge!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    My preamp and power amps are true balanced designs. I am happy to use either Neutrix or Switchcraft XLRs with either silver or gold plated contacts, or even use the original Cannon designs.
    So are mine. Although I have found the Yannis silver balanced cables I use now to be very slightly better, there's very little in it between cheap Maplin microphone cables, super-expensive Kimber Select, Tellurium Q Black and Yannis ConnectLitz using mostly Neutrik and Switchcraft XLR connectors. The Neutriks I now use, despite their lowish price (down to the vast quantities made), are superbly constructed, have silver pins that mate firmly and pass the test of time. You really don't need a vastly expensive connector in balanced applications as the system negates the effect of the cable and connectors to a large degree.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Despite what I said to David earlier, what would be the point of a discussion forum if members weren't able to discuss their opinions when they tried something new, whatever the cost? It's one thing for a salesman to say his product is good - he would wouldn't he? But if someone who's invested their own money in it and prefers it, then who are you to tell them that they're wrong....or that they shouldn't ever mention it?
    Hear, hear!! Martyn, please take that message on board.

And:

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Thanks for that - good to know I have your blessing.
    Now take a look around AoS and see how many times I've said before about how I've long ago done with messing about with cables and you may find that my entire system cost less than £200 to cable from front to back, then take a guess at how many interconnects it takes to couple up the stuff I have in my willy-waving signature.
    I'll never buy a £70 plug any more than fly to the moon, but I'll defend anyone's right to discuss them on an audio forum. Unless it's an ill disguised sales pitch.
    Indeed, Chris - as would I! Like you say, discussion forums are for people to discuss things, such as XLR plugs on an audio forum, like AoS. No-one should be keeping their opinions to themselves, if they don't want to. Free speech is promoted here, within the guidelines of our ethos.

Brooksie, rein in the blatant sales promotion - you've been warned about this before. The 'best' XLR plug, in your opinion, is always going to be from the selection you sell, so perhaps you're not ideally placed to offer unbiased advice on a thread like this, eh?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    So are mine. Although I have found the Yannis silver balanced cables I use now to be very slightly better, there's very little in it between cheap Maplin microphone cables, super-expensive Kimber Select, Tellurium Q Black and Yannis ConnectLitz using mostly Neutrik and Switchcraft XLR connectors. The Neutriks I now use, despite their lowish price (down to the vast quantities made), are superbly constructed, have silver pins that mate firmly and pass the test of time. You really don't need a vastly expensive connector in balanced applications as the system negates the effect of the cable and connectors to a large degree.
    another here, all my system is balanced so the 24 xlr connecters I use would be a whopping £1680.00, I could buy something nice for that kind of dosh, I agree with Martin theres little difference between maplins mic patch leads and some mega bucks cables well 5 friends failed to hear a difference between some strikingly differently constructed cables , after all that's why balanced equipment became the industry standard.
    could be a completely different effect though when using them for a power supply connection.
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Martyn.

OK, OK. Everyone is entitled to ' have their say ' . I run recording semi-professionally, so I am already in ' The Other Camp'. We make the music the Audiophile Anoraks, who spend ridiculous amounts on reproduction accessories, listen to.

Do you REALLY believe if I replaced my Neutrik XLR on my mic. cable with Furatech ( or whatever...) the sound of my £400 Neumann mic. would improve out of all recognition ?

Perhaps I shouldn't say it but, ' Get a Life' . I think I will leave this Forum permanently...

I'm Neil.

Hi Martyn this thread stands out as being a rare cable thread where a lot of cable believers are saying that the Neutrik stuff is more than good enough. I use Canare Star-Quad with Neutrik XLRs, 20-odd quid each, and have "wanky" cables elsewhere.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm ChrisB.

Yes, Martin, it's rather odd that this should be the time you choose to announce your frustration and impending departure from AoS when the vast majority of commentators are in full agreement with you!

I'm paul.

I thought Everyone was in agreement ,except two vendors of cables
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Steve.

I must admit that i am considering going back to the rca connectors on my Exposure amps as the unbalanced XLR cable sounds too stark and lacking depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    The best made XLR plugs are Neutrik.

Whether they are the best sounding
    I don't know

In ' The World of The Audio Anorak ' the most expensive is the best sounding isn't it ? (!)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    I thought Everyone was in agreement ,except two vendors of cables
    If you'd care to check you'll see that I don't sell XLRs on their own, have never "pushed" them here or anywhere else for that matter and was responding to the question "what do you think are the best". I responded, from my personal perspective, with no sales hat on, I qualified my response with my reasons and I am definitely NOT trying to sell anyone anything, so less of the tar brushing nonsense if you please. I also rate Switchcraft plugs very highly and the cheapest of the Furutech stuff is very good too, but in answer to the best, I can only speak from what I have experience of myself and I answered accordingly. It amazes me that asked a simple question, so many people are so quick to jump to conclusions, and ridicule other people's opinions when those opinions are based on personal preference and have nothing to do with any form of standards being implied or given. It's a real shame to see this sort of thing happening on this forum in particular. Post script is just to say who says anyone has to agree on this subject? Its not one with a right and a wrong is it? I'm very sorry I like the pricey ones but I do. Do they do anything night and day performance better than Switchcraft or cheaper Furutechs? I doubt it but I like the fit, finish and looks...totally irrational perhaps but there we go. Why on earth must people feel the need to defend opinions? Sorry for the reaction folks but I will NOT have that sort of disgraceful inference made and let it be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast