+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beresford 7520 / Monarchy Upsampler DIP

I'm Jim.

Default Beresford 7520 / Monarchy Upsampler DIP

I really should get out more..........

Anyway, back in the olden days I had a Trichord Clocked/PSU Digital Outboarded Micromega Logic CD which I was feeding into a Pink Triangle Ordinal DAC. I had a Theta Time Linque Conditioner which I thought at the time improved the sound.

Having gone for a Naim CD player four or five years ago I eventually eBayed the kit to some kind folk in Eastern Europe.

Having now got back into the streaming/DAC market courtesy of the Beresford I had a butchers around for something like the TLC. I remember Stan saying that a device like this wouldn't help but hey "I know best". I got hold of a Monarchy DIP this weekend and I've been giving it a listen stuck between an Apple TV (optical in > co-ax out) and the 7520. It wasn't night and day as such but there was a definite improvement in the clarity and detail.
    Anyway I was trawling on the internet today about the DIP and read that there is a jumper to select between an upsampling of 48 and 96kHz. I duly opened up the box and found that the jumper was set to 48kHz. Knowing the 7520 is good for 96kHz I thought I'd give the jumper a nudge.

I'm glad I did. Whatever is going on it's like pressing the "Make your hi-fi sound 10 times better" button. I know the source material is only AAC ripped from a CD but whatever is happening is suiting me.

Can anyone offer an explanation to this? I'm starting to think I've got the Emperors New Clothes on or something.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Jim.

I went back to the non DIP and the DIP back at 48 today. Not as good as the upsampling set at 96. It really does sing.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I have had good results running a Perpetual Technologies P1a upsampler and P3b Monolithic PSU into a Beresford 7510 mk 4. Managed to feed a 24 bit 96khz de-jittered signal (through CD -Enhance mode) from the P1a into the B*Dac. The results are amazing much more detail soundstage and controlled bass.

+ Reply to Thread