+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the High Fidelity oath?

synsei Guest

Perhaps a more accurate term for what is being discussed here is True Fidelity... I'm more or less happy where I am, or at least I will be once my DM2's are sorted and seeing as I can no longer get out to live concerts I have no basis for comparison, thankfully

I'm John.

The main element for me is a system that provides enjoyable and listenable music within the constrains of my room and environment. Whether that falls within the rather legal sounding pledge in the first post I wouldn't have a clue. All I can say is that after a hard day I can play a cd or download, sit in a comfy chair and thoroughly enjoy the music.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I don't remember taking any oath. Is this some sort of Masonic thing?
    What, you haven't learnt the secret handshake??? Philistine...

I'm ILOB.

I guess times change from a idealistic view point to one based on reality. In the end we end with a system based on our own perception of the truth
    At the end of day of the day its about enjoying the music
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I guess times change from a idealistic view point to one based on reality. In the end we end with a system based on our own perception of the truth...
    Precisely (as that's all that is currently possible), unless you believe that our presently accepted measurement parameters tell all and have created the perfectly 'transparent' hi-fi system, which I'd suggest is no more than wishful thinking on the part of those who obsess over oscilloscopes and can't live without 'certainty'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I guess times change from a idealistic view point to one based on reality. In the end we end with a system based on our own perception of the truth
    At the end of day of the day its about enjoying the music
    Just noticed the Rodrigo y Gabriella. I hope you get to enjoy the truth according to the gospel of DaCapo of that recording on Saturday. I'll tie a knot in my hanky to bring it.

I'm John.

Nope, there was no oath and I’m happy to state that no secret handshakes are necessary.

The truth is of course in this instance as others have noted whatever is on the chosen media.

When I first got into Hi Fi (Hi Fi is a hobby and isn’t necessarily related to my enjoyment of music) the goal was for the enthusiasts I knew to reproduce as faithfully as possible what was on the media. Digital recording studios hadn’t become the norm and audio enthusiasts had record players and tape machines. Some systems got closer than others. We read the various electronic journals of the day, viewed the increasingly popular Hi Fi magazines with deep skepticism and learnt how solder and built our own kit. I dare say many of my generation are now the designers of much of the non mainstream kit many of us now value and prefer.

At some point and I’m not exactly sure when but a bit before I gave up vinyl (I’ve been clearing out and dug out my old Decca London Gold cartridge which brought on a burst of nostalgia) I resigned myself to the conclusion that absolute fidelity to the media was virtually impossible. Even if one could make or afford equipment that got close to true transparency (I feckin hate that term) then the room the system played in would make a mess of the sound so what was the point. My interest in audio reproduction stayed with me and when I went digital I set about trying to learn a bit about that.

Digital equipment I would argue has developed at an astounding rate. I am constantly being pleasantly surprised by its abilities to tailor sound and dismayed by the abuse this often leads to

I’ve listened to a fair number of pre and post studio mixes over the past few years and had the opportunity to see and hear what can be done with digital mixing equipment. anyone who has spent a bit of time playing with one of the pro DA converters will have a good idea of just how powerful these machines have become. The ability to manipulate audio in such a manner used to require racks of kit, now you can get a fully fledge mixer on a USB stick thanks to the ubiquitous computer.

There are now some very good room correction programs and other programs still under development that will allow astounding levels of fine tuning audio that could be used to compensate for playback equipment anomalies, or if one wished, tailor an audio file to sound like tape or vinyl for examples.

Perhaps, if the audiophile community isn’t too entrenched the pursuit of true audio fidelity isn’t such a pipe dream after all.

Hello Brian.
    Because I want to hear what’s on the media and quite often given current recording practice it isn’t that pleasant to listen to.

Hello Clive.
    I wish I could write that it’s sunny and warm but it isn’t. Next week will be better apparently but its still bloody cold at night up here in the hills.

Honestly Marco, you crack me up. What are you like?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - always pleased to entertain!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Brian.

Good to hear from you John , hope life ( and music ) is good to you mate

I'm Geoff.

I don't know about High Fidelity Oaths, but 'Rule One' is 'There Are No rules'. Each to their own and do and choose whatever you like and use it in any way that suits you.

I'm not sure equipment has to measure flat. That tells you little about what something may sound like. Seventies KEF speakers were tailored to have as flat a response as possible within their frequency response envelope and to me that's how they sounded, a little flat! Decca cartridges have a very flat measured response and somehow they don't give that impression on hearing. Some very fine sounding gear can have departures from level in response.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast