+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Search is On

I'm Nathan.

Default The Search is On

Hi All,

I brought one of my amplifiers into a local repair shop the other day as it had developed a buzz, and I got talking to the guy who does the repairs. I mentioned to him that I have an SL-P1200 and that while the laser is fine on it at the minute, I do feel that it could do with alignment (once in a blue moon it needs to be turned off in order for it to stop spinning the disc at the end of playback) and if it wasnt too big a deal I might even just have a new one fitted.

He told me that he had recently thrown two SL-P1200s in the bin as an attempted repair went pear shapped. He said that he used to have the correct jigs that are required to install and configure the laser, but that he had in the distant past binned all that equipment as it was taking up room and never really used.

Basically, if you dont have the kit, you can't replace the laser.

So the search is on. Is there an electronics repair shop that still has the equipment required to install and correctly configure a laser on an SL-P1200. I know I am being paranoid as the one I have still works ok, but I'd be able to dismiss any morbid thoughts if I knew there was someone out there who could help me if and when that awful day does arrive.

The SL-P1200 has a great sound and I am loving it, so I want to make sure I can preserve it.

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Martin.

MY SLP 1200 has the same issue with not being too happy about givign a disc back but it only happens very occasionally and I don't think it is laser misalignment. I've noticed it only happens with discs that have a bit of dirt or marking on them or discs that have a lot of tracks (20 plus). Some of these discs it won't play to begin with. it's a fussy old bugger!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    MY SLP 1200 has the same issue with not being too happy about givign a disc back but it only happens very occasionally and I don't think it is laser misalignment. I've noticed it only happens with discs that have a bit of dirt or marking on them or discs that have a lot of tracks (20 plus). Some of these discs it won't play to begin with. it's a fussy old bugger!
    Yes, it happens very infrequently. As I said I am being a bit paranoid. I should probably just sit back and enjoy the player. I would still love to find someone who is able to offer the laser replacement service.

The guy in the repair shop I spoke to also mentioned the need to replace capacitors in the couple of examples he ended up binning. I've not had a look inside the cd player, and I am wondering if it would be a massive job to recap it.

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

I still need to find someone who can service these things if only for my peace of mind.

Nathan.

I'm Stephen.

Just noticed this.

Can't really add anything other than the model that replaced it (1300 I think) didn't suffer the same problem.

Have you seen the video on youtube on how to assemble one in 8 minutes? Quite neat.
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 17-02-2014 at 00:26.

I'm Nathan.

I watched the 8 minute assembly today. Fascinating.

Nathan.

I'm Stephen.

There's a couple of items on the 1200 at http://vintage-audio-laser.com. The text is in French but there's pictures. Curious about the comments regarding the capacitor on the motor control panel.

+ Reply to Thread