+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gathering at NWA

I'm David.

Anybody else?

Come on guys!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Are we all still going, then? I'm aiming to be there sometime between 11-12noon

Are you bringing any kit, daftee?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent. Home-made food is always best, and I know that Natalie is a good cook! Would you like me to bring some of Del's home-made Tiramisu for dessert? It's yummy!!

Brooksy (el dafto), do you live on takeaways and supermarket meals - does no-one cook at Brook towers?

Marco.

He is too busy.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Dominic.

Big thank you to Marco, Dave, Nick, Paul, Greg and Shaun who attended.
    I hope you all had as much fun as Natalie and I did.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Big thank you to Marco, Dave, Nick, Paul, Greg and Shaun who attended.
    I hope you all had as much fun as Natalie and I did.
    We need piccies.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andr'e.

Don't forget the Deodorant guys

As it is Chinese New Year, Del and I decided to spend the day in Liverpool's Chinatown, having lunch and enjoying the rather spectacular festivities (took lots of pics), so there hasn't been enough time to comment on the excellent day I had yesterday at NWA towers. I will remedy that tomorrow.

However, in the meantime, I'd just like to say a big thanks to Dom and Natalie for their superb hospitality (as usual), especially the effort Natalie and her friend put into providing a delicious home-cooked meal

It was a fun day, with good craic, and much was learned as usual. It was great to meet not only the hosts again, but also Brooky, Nick, Greg, Shaun, and the other big chap (whose name escapes me), sorry!

Anyway, I'll post some thoughts on the sesh we all had later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Greg.

Default Gathering at NWA

Thanks to Dom and Nat for a very entertaining day and the good food (as always).
    Good to meet up with Shaun, Marco, Nick, Dave and Paul.
    One revealing combination of the day was Marco's turntable and Dom's new MC cart, a good partnership indeed, surprising bass from a nine inch arm. I don't think the techy will get better than that..........or maybe there's more to come.

Greg

Default North West Analogue DH1: could this be the 'perfect' MC cartridge?

Hi Greg,

It was nice meeting you again. I'm glad that you liked the Techy. It's always reassuring obtaining unbiased confirmation from others that modifications to your turntable have taken it in the right direction since they last heard it, especially when used in an (albeit excellent) but alien system

I have to say that your EL-84 based power amp sounded stunning (and I don't use that word lightly), reminding me somewhat of the style of musical presentation I obtain at home from my Copper amp. Your power amp remained in the system all day and never put a foot wrong. If I were you, I wouldn't ever sell it, as to improve on it, sonically, would be a rather difficult task. For me, you can put that area of your system to bed.

In all honesty, that amp of yours is, sonically, as good as (or most probably better) than most of what the likes of AudioNote produce, at a fraction of the price. Yes, you can tell that I was rather impressed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2010
    One revealing combination of the day was Marco's turntable and Dom's new MC cart, a good partnership indeed...
    I have to say that I was equally as impressed with Dom's new, bespoke-made, MC cartridge: the DH1. Unfortunately on the day, his SME-based 12" arm, as you know, was rather ill, and so wasn't sounding its best on the Garrard. I could certainly hear more than a few hints of greatness when it was used there, but unfortunately, due to the arm having an 'off day' (suffering from hum issues, etc), it was difficult for me to enjoy the undoubted talents of the cartridge in that context.

However, that certainly changed when Dom fitted it to the Techy!

What Dom has created with the DH1 is quite remarkable, as it's the first genuinely high-end MC design I've heard that gets the balance spot-on between analysis and musicality. It is special because it achieves the former, forensically, without a hint of sterility, whilst delivering the latter with abundance - and in a way which not only makes music a joy to listen to, but which to my ears, recreates realism on every record graced by its stylus.

In terms of high-frequency resolution and extension, IMO, it has few peers (if any), as the bespoke and exotic (but highly effective) combination of its constituent parts, from the generator through to its stylus profile, combine to create crystalline-sounding highs which, seemingly, extend into infinity and imbue all music with a beguiling sense of air and space, producing a convincing illusion that one is not listening merely to a mass-produced recording on a round piece of plastic, but the sound of the actual master tape.

Its seemingly unbridled high-frequency headroom [in this respect making my SPU Royal MKII, with its Replicant stylus, itself extending up to 60,000Hz, and so no slouch at delivering pure sounding, crystal-clear highs, sound 'limited' in comparison], gives the DH1 an 'effortless' quality, which not only is magical to hear, but succeeds in subsequently, and rather advantageously, influencing the lower frequencies. This allows the midrange in particular to 'breathe' and exhibit a spine-tingling lifelike quality, creating an effect with voices in particular that renders them as almost living entities, rather than simply as musical information embedded into record grooves.

All of the above, together with bass that is sublimely tuneful, textured and 'organic' in nature, yet when required, thunders through with near subwoofer-like intensity, underpins all genres of music with an authority that transcends the experience of merely listening to recorded music on a hi-fi system, into something more tangible, believable and real. This is genuine accuracy, folks - musical accuracy - not simply that derived from achieving notionally perfect technical results on a spec sheet - and no other cartridge I've heard to date gets it so fundamentally right.

Some may baulk at the £5k price tag (and I myself was sceptical), but when you consider that this cartridge has been voiced by ear and meticulously fine-tuned and hand-crafted by an artisan, over 100s of hours, using the finest materials possible, and crucially in an optimal combination, which not only gets it so correct technically on almost every level, but also exists as a shining example of the designer's ability to make recorded music actually sound like MUSIC, then perhaps that is the price one must pay to obtain near perfection from vinyl replay?

Therefore, in due course, I hope that this exemplary music-maker makes it into plenty of hands belonging to those who can afford it, and who most importantly, deserve to own it. If the DH1 can reach the right customers, who appreciate its unique talents, then I predict that its future is destined for greatness.

The world has shown us the mastery of Sugano-san, however gentlemen, I now salute the birth of our very own Dom-san!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deleted.

So, have you placed an order then Marco?
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast