+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Hifi Company DC1 linear power supply

I'm Trevor.

Default Custom Hifi Company DC1 linear power supply

I've read about the benefits of a linear or battery power supply with Tripath amplifiers. I recently bought a Temple Audio Bantam T amp. I am very impressed with sound the Bantam produces from my Opus 3 Credo speakers via my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, but what I've heard regarding the improvement to be bad by powering it by a battery or a linear supply made me curious.
    After a bit of research I decided to try the DC1 linear supply made by the Custom Hifi Company in Leeds. I emailed the company and got a very fast response from Sean (I think he owns the company). Sean was ultra helpful and 4 days later I took delivery of a DC1. They're built to order so there's a short wait time for delivery. The advantage here is that each power supply can be customised to the buyers exact needs.
    The unit is beautifully built aluminium enclosure. A nice touch is the opportunity to choose the colour of the LED which indicates the DC1 is powered up. The only customising I needed was a 2m power output cable instead of the standard 1m. The DC1 comes without an IEC power lead. You can either use your own or buy one of Sean's high quality leads.
    Having connected the DC1 to the Bantam I put an LP on and sat back. The improvement in clarity and imaging is stunning. Bass is extended and tighter. Everything just sounds somehow 'righter' than it did. The best compliment I can give is that with the DC1 in my system I felt compelled to listen to LP after LP -I just didn't want to stop.
    If you're considering a linear power supply for a T amp I'd say 'go for it' and give the DC1 priority in your auditions - you'll be amazed.

I'm Brian.

Nice write up Trevor . I'm using a Bantam Gold powered with a 12v car battery and I'm very pleased with it . Have you tried the Gold battery powered or did you go straight to the upgraded PSU .

I'm Stu.

Have a Bantam Gold on its way and will be interested to find out what an external PSU improves....
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

I'm ILOB.

Try a few alternatives Stu if you can with regards to power supplies
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jerry.

I also have the DC1 power supply with the Custom Hifi Cable HA10SE headphone amplifier. Brilliant pieces of kit, I wouldn't want to change either (except maybe get the DC2).
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    Have a Bantam Gold on its way and will be interested to find out what an external PSU improves....
    Try it with a 12v battery Stu . A significant upgrade IMO.

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I also have the DC1 power supply with the Custom Hifi Cable HA10SE headphone amplifier. Brilliant pieces of kit, I wouldn't want to change either (except maybe get the DC2).
    Me too, for both aspects - got same PSU and amp from Sean and would not change it. What's more, he is a great guy to deal with and could not be more helpful to customers and potential customers. Approach and buy with confidence, you will not be disappointed.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Trevor.

I've been so impressed with both John at Temple Audio and Sean at Custom Hifi that I've decided to use the Bantam and DC1 to power my Sonos setup in the living room. I've ordered the Bantam Monoblocks from John and a PP10 Passive Preamp and a DC2 from Sean to power my vinyl based system in my home studio. I've also ordered a Powerblack IEC and 3 Blue interconnects from Sean. He's been in touch today to let me know that he's just got the Blue interconnects to do and then everything will be ready to send. John is sending the Monoblocks out tomorrow. I'm can't wait to hear my vinyl on this system! As i type I'm listening to Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat album and it really does sound sublime on the Bantam / DC1. I'll report back on how the upgraded system sounds.

I'm Trevor.

Thanks Brian. I went straight to the DC1. I don't have a clue how to start with a 12v battery.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Me too, for both aspects - got same PSU and amp from Sean and would not change it. What's more, he is a great guy to deal with and could not be more helpful to customers and potential customers. Approach and buy with confidence, you will not be disappointed.
    Dave.
    Dave,
    How are you? Are the piles still troublesome?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast