+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cyrus 8

I'm James.

Default Cyrus 8

I've been considering upgrading my amp (Rotel RA-06), and been offered very good prices on the following Cyrus amps:

Cyrus 8a
    Cyrus 8 dac
    Cyrus 8 dac qx

My speakers are PMC DB1i, which I adore.

Will I see a material increase in sound quality going from the rotel to the Cyrus 8? My source is FLAC files played through DacMagic (to be replaced with the Bushmaster mk2) via squeezebox duet receiver. From what I can see, they are both high current amps. It's just that I bought my hifi from scratch, and bought the amp that I auditioned the speakers with, so have never tried anything else.

Has anyone compared the 8 dac vs DacMagic or BM2? I just wonder what to expect in terms of sound quality.

Again, with the 8 dac qx. Is it worth a £300 premium to the 8 dac, and would I hear the benefit with my speakers and source?

All help and advice welcome...

JB
    Last edited by JakeBlade; 18-01-2014 at 11:38.

I'm Tony.

I had the 8xp at one point. Really like it a lot. Lots of features and really nice detailed sound from it. I had the psx-r also so would suggest getting that secondhand as an upgrade at some point. The a is cheaper than the xp so not sure if they took stuff out or priced it lower to reposition it in the market.
    If you have a dac already you don't need the 8dac. But it does reduce box count and it really is up to you whether you value a separate dac or would be happy using the dac in the cyrus. I like cyrus stuff and only moved it on to fund a valve amp. It is neat tidy works well seems to hold its value well in the uk.
    Good honest uk company and their cd8se is very nice also. Think they have changed that also but nice thing about cyrus stuff is there is plenty of secondhand options if you want more and sometimes you find a bargain.

I'm James.

Default Cyrus 8

Thanks Tonerei.

I've seen decent offers on the 8xp. That might be worth consideration too then, thanks for the help.
    Last edited by JakeBlade; 21-01-2014 at 19:39.

+ Reply to Thread