+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Weight on a Techie

I'm keiron.

What is the point of clamps?

I'm Hugo.

I recommend the KAB Super Record Grip - see http://www.kabusa.com/usagrip.htm . It's relatively inexpensive at $40, lightweight and I like what it does on my TD-124 and Kenwood DD decks; however I don't have a Technics.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    What is the point of clamps?
    To hold the record down against the mat and thus dampen resonances. To effectively bond the record to the mat/platter system for the purposes of playing it.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by CableMaker1 View Post
    Marco -

Did you get a chance to compare the Bruil with the Michel Record Weight? If so, what are your thoughts?

And did you get my PM I sent to you the other day?
    Hi Mike,

Yes on the latter - not had a chance to reply to it yet, but will do later today

Yes, I've used both the Bruil and Michell clamp, and whilst I liked the latter, I felt that the Bruil produced the better results. The Michell clamp, I feel, (unsurprisingly) produces its best results on Michell T/Ts, where the whole design system works 'as one'.

I've also tried other clamps with the Technics and results have been less than inspiring. My view is that record weights are likely to be more effective on the Technics, but not ones too high in mass. The Bruil weight does pretty much everything that it says on the tin, and isn't stupidly priced:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting explanation here, from Michell, on the design principles of their clamp (and platter):

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk...ter-and-clamp/

Note in particular:

Quote Originally Posted by Michell-engineering UK
    Michell turntables clamp the record to a hard platter. This flattens out warps, and it also couples the LP tightly to the platter so that internal resonances can be drained away from the stylus, as if the LP effectively is of a much higher thickness and rigidity. The Gyro SE and GyroDec models use a simple clamp to press down the LP record; the Orbe and Orbe SE benefit from a more advanced screw-down clamp and a washer that raises the LP at its center: under action of the clamp the record’s playable area is then very tightly pressed down onto the flat platter, right to its edges.

We make the platter from a proprietary self-damping compound of carbon/vinyl -loaded acrylic. This material closely approaches the mechanical and acoustical properties of the vinyl record itself, enhancing the coupling between both.
    Observe the highlighted parts in blue... It is obvious that the clamp and platter have been designed to work in tandem with each other, in an effort to remove resonances from the playing surface. However, the coupling effect is only of benefit if the material you're coupling it to (what the platter is made from, and also the mat) is a good impedance match with the vinyl record itself.

Therefore, using a Michell clamp (or any clamp) on a T/T whose platter and/or mat haven't been optimsed for that effect is more likely to produce negative results, as effectively all you're doing is coupling the record to a sub-optimal interface, thus superimposing its adverse sonic signature onto the music signal.

What we are trying to achieve, by using a record clamp or weight is precisely what is outlined on the website, where the Bruil weight is discussed:

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfountain.com
    One important aspect of any turntable is that bearing-spindle-platter-tonearm are firmly connected in the horizontal plane . and are an entity. There should be no play, no independent movement possible, horizopntally nor vertically. This construction is crucial.
    In my experience, most turntables benefit from the use of some sort of weight or clamp, and those benefits are obtained when the above goal has been successfully achieved.

However, in terms of the Technics SL-1200/1210, experience also suggests that the above goal is met more successfully with the use of a record weight than a clamp, and therefore, sonically, the results with the former are generally more positive. As ever, though, nothing is written in stone, so the key is to experiment and see what works best with your T/T!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm keiron.

Anyone any experience with the Harmonix TU-812M? A mere £2,494.99.
    http://www.analogueseduction.net/rec...s/HTU812M.html

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    Anyone any experience with the Harmonix TU-812M? A mere £2,494.99.
    Strangely enough, no!

I'm Andrew.

Yes I bought one and thought it was crap, I then upgraded to one which cost £5000 and got a deeper separation of instruments, black backgrounds, etc... A very worthwhile purchase.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes I bought one and thought it was crap, I then upgraded to one which cost £5000 and got a deeper separation of instruments, black backgrounds, etc... A very worthwhile purchase.

I don't think anyone on AOS is stupid enough to spend that much on a record weight !

I'm David.

anyway the clearaudio cleverclamp is quite possibly the no brainer of the century for keeping the record tight against the platter or mat?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast