+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Aurorasound VIDA MC/MM Phono Preamp

MartinT Guest

Further listening to the VIDA tonight has made me realise that it really is quite different from any other phono stage I've heard. What sets it apart is what it doesn't add to the sound: there is no euphony and no vinyl colouration. None at all. It just reproduces whatever character is sewn into the recording. Yet it isn't stark or unforgiving; quite the opposite, in fact. It's wide dynamic range suppresses noise very well and allows it to mirror the dynamics of the recording.

I just played Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman and it was like listening to a different mix, despite my knowing it intimately. In fact, it doesn't sound like vinyl at all. And why should it? I don't want my vinyl to sound like vinyl, I want it to sound like the master tape. As far as I can tell, it does that without adding anything to the original character. The sum effect is that different albums sound very different from each other, and something new is revealed in every one.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    And that's where the Vida scores heavy points with me; it just gets out of the way.
    Spot on, Peter! I saw your post after posting mine and we seem to have said the same thing. A wonderful product that has made me listen all over again to music I love.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Spot on, Peter! I saw your post after posting mine and we seem to have said the same thing. A wonderful product that has made me listen all over again to music I love.
    I'm still doing that with all my other upgrades
    Do you mean to say I would have to do it all again ?!
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123