+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good, cheap headphones - Koss Porta Pro

I'm gone.

Default Good, cheap headphones - Koss Porta Pro

Just a quick heads-up for those looking for some nice headphones for just a couple of £10 notes.

I just wanted something half-decent to plug easily into my laptop for sampling tunes off Amazon prior to purchase and casual listening while perusing AOS.

At a touch over £20 these provide good clarity, definition and high end extension with no harshness, nicely projected and neutral vocals and a pretty decently defined and deep, if slightly tubby bass.

Really quite cumfy, too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Stereo-...koss+sportapro

For £20 or so these seem a bargain to me.

I'm Paul.

You seem to have four very weirdly shaped ears Jerry

I'm gone.

Nope, usual shape and number, although they are of course Golden.

-- the extra spongey bits help with the comfort, I think, by relieving pressure on the ears. They do seem to work well.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looks like something Joe 90 would've used!

Anyway, glad they're hitting the spot, dude. Koss headphones are great - I wouldn't swap my PRO4AAs for any supposedly 'superior' high-end designs!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Yep, they are a bit retro!
    And all the better for that, I reckon.

-- I seem to remember those Koss PRO4AA - mahoosive beasts, I don't think my neck muscles are strong enough.

I'm Nobody.

Yes but there not Koss PRO4AA

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Yes but there not Koss PRO4AA
    Soz, dude. Can you elaborate?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We've been here before, but aren't the current Pro4AA's updated internally over the 1970's models? When I went to look, the bargain priced new ones had long gone, so I went with what I knew and found some Sennheiser HD265's, which are broadly similar sonically to the Sony's 'everyone' was raving about here a few months ago (I haven't done a direct comparison though, but had a good listen to Alex's set a month or two ago - they're nice)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Ah, I see... If that's what Andre's on about, then it doesn't matter to me, as I've compared the current models to the originals, and sonically, which is all I'm interested in, I much preferred the current ones. Andre's entitled to have an alternative opinion, and that's fairy muff!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

I would not buy the new ones because they simply are not an original production model from back then, however i do have an original 1970's pair & i don't like them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast