Shane’s tt came on Tuesday. We set it up on my system. The system at this point had the two bridged Quad 405 power amps, and the Musical Fidelity A308 CR pre amp. Loudspeakers, martin Logan QuestZ. I removed the Project RPM 10, but retained the big heavy plinth and the stand. The cart has a new stylus, and this required some running in. I pushed the tracking force up. Initial listening was positive despite a lack of bass, and a bit sharp on the sax in Jazz at the pawn shop, then again this record came from E Bay for around £25.00 and is a tad worn! I think I will look for a new version. I was generally pleased with what I heard. Last night I listened on a subjective level, also my valve amps came yesterday, Opera Consonance M800 mono valve SE. (Bigearsaudio in Cornwall, check out his site, some nice second hand amps etc) I had listened earlier using CD, Nuyorican Soul on the Spark Cayin 17A. Once the amps warmed up I was really pleased with sound, mid range was lovely, and bass on track 14 George Benson's You can do it [baby] was fast, and tuneful. I usually use this as a ref for speed. Imaging was first class, and percussion top notch. Ok I am pleased with the amps. They push the Mls very well in triode mode (35 W) I have not yet tried ultra linear. (75W) In Triode mode the amps sound luscious. They push the Mls very well.
The Roksan Xerxes tt sounds very good indeed with the Rega 200; what a gorgeous looking arm! and taking in to consideration the AR cartridge which retailed for around £14.00 back in the early eighties, therefore by today’s pricing it could be around the £50.00 mark? but it is very good, very good indeed! As a whole the package retrieves a lot of information from the record. The mid range is exceptional as is the pace. Dynamics are good. Jazz at the pawn shop rendered that great live feeling, the xylophone was beautiful, kick drums very nice. The deck sounds very stable, and Yello's 'desire' was great and as clear as a CD, and dynamics as it should be. I noticed that this deck has a quiet background. I tried my Bob James 'grand piano canyon' which is scratched as it is now quite old. Despite the surface scratches it was quite audible over the Project RPM10. In fact I prefer this Rok over the Project. The project lacks something in the mid area. Bass is exceptional in the Rok, and good speed as noted with yello. Going over to Sting's 'English man in New York' record 12" 45 I noticed that the vocal was very recessed and bass boomy. Reducing weight on the cart resolved this. I used the Roksan digital stylus gauge this morning to check, and the reading is 1.436, therefore looks like the cart should settle in at 1.2gm. I will apply the Denon DL160 later. One Project for sale soon, seriously! : doh: Well done Shane you picked a winner in the Rok. Ere, hmmmmm can I have it on my system for a while longer?