+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget Computer Audio set up? Dac recomendations?

Default Budget Computer Audio set up? Dac recomendations?

Hi all, sorry for such a bumbling post.

I have been out of the loop for a while, CD's, LP's and most of the hifi are in storage, little room for racks of kit these days, but recently missing my music.

I am thinking of purchasing a new Dac, and connecting that to a power amp under the TV, turning the old HTPC into a temporary audio only computer and transferring all my music files to it.
    Maybe later, building a better low power draw dedicated audio PC, and probably adding a 2 bay Synology Nas (recommended over a server?).

The Dac I am thinking of purchasing is the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus, at £250.

Is this pretty good bang for buck? Any other Dac recommendations? I would assume it's an improvement over my Technics and E800 on board dacs. A suitable replacement for the likes of the D-T1? And not too shabby in comparison to my old Theta?

Any recommendations on software and using a tablet or phone to control this sort of set up?

Currently in use I have an amp with on board dac (Technics SU-MA10), BluRay player, Virgin Tivo and old unused HTPC under a TV for now. Kef Reference 107's. Some music stored in an upstairs PC.

Limited space and weight bearing on my Alphason TV stand, it can't take two US sized items side by side.

My old systems which are in storage. I am guessing newer Dacs are an improvement

Gyro SE with QC Power supply, SME IV, XLO Reference cable.
    Sonic Frontiers SF-1 valve Phono stage.
    Theta Data III CD transport.
    Genesis Digital Lense.
    Theta Pro Basic IIIa Dac.
    Krell KRC-3 Pre amp.
    Krell Kav-250 power amp.
    Mana Racks.

Teac T-1 VRDS.
    Teac D-T1 Dac.
    Teac V-6030 cassette deck.
    Classe CP-35 pre amp.
    Classe CA-101 power amp.
    Rogers Studio 1 speakers.
    Target Racks.

EAD Theatervision P (as a CD player).
    Yamaha E800 (as a pre amp).
    EAR 834P phono stage MM/MC with volume control.
    Classe CA-100 power amp.
    Linn Kan Mk2
    Mana Racks.

Denon DVD1740 DVD player
    Pioneer DV747 DVD player
    Pioneer CLD-3390 LD player
    Pioneer CLD-2950 LD player
    Pioneer VSX-D912 AV amp (on board Dac too and can be used as a pre)
    Kef KHT 2005 Satellites X6
    Kef PSW 2000 Sub
    Apollo Rack.
    Last edited by sastusbulbas; 11-01-2014 at 02:03.
    Steve.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yo, Steve, good to see you're still alive! Howz yer pish catchers?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ILOB.

A lot of us really like the Bushmaster mk 2 Use it with a 12v battery and it becomes something very special for the money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Hugo.

The little DacMagic 100, which I use in my office system, has been reviewed favourably in HiFi Critic against the Plus model. I can confirm that it's a rather good, musical sounding little thing (it is little!) and a relative bargain at £150 new.

I'm Neil.

Default Budget Computer Audio set up? Dac recomendations?

I wouldn't write off that Theta DAC. If you need a smaller unit though... Love the KRC-3 I have one too, shame it runs so hot!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Hi Marco

Things are good here, sadly I lost interest in audio, played with mountain bikes and PC's in my spare time, new year there it hit me just how much I had let the audio go, we had guests, they were asking what I had done, where was all my music and HiFi.

Well the real killer for me was space and convenience, three kids meant space at home ran out, money got tight, recession = no bonuses, stuff got put away, nowhere for my CD's or records to be kept at the moment.
    I can keep a system in the bedroom, but downstairs I need some sort of set up that can fit in a double width AV stand, a new AV stand that could house wide components like the Krell would be useful, especially if it had doors.

So I again thought computer Audio, saw the Cambridge Dac on sale, and as usual start thinking rubbish. Others are now telling me the Cambridge Dac ain't that great. To be honest, I just need to start playing music again, so could use any of my old kit with an HTPC, and modify or upgrade the Dac and HTPC later.

What I need to do 1st is find out how to use my mobile to control my PC for media playback and such. I cannot stomach browsing music while staring at a keyboard and 50" screen, nor do I want a regular PC, keyboard, monitor. I want to be able to do it with no TV or monitor, from the couch. In particular Windows Media Player.

If having a mobile as a control equates to me listening to music again, I may get a Tablet or iPad for controlling things, and pay for J-River.

I never completed my CD to PC transfers, but am thinking a Synology Nas would be better than a PC or server.

In fact, I have heard I could run a tablet, with a Nas, and buy a cheap adapter to connect the USB to an SPDIF for this, or later if I get a USB Dac run a Synology directly to that. Either way, more convenient control of audio playback on the PC via android, and Nas storage later seem to be the important things to address.
    Steve.

I'm Stu.

The Tascam DACs are getting a good name for themselves. Gromit that reviews for Hifi Pig uses the smaller sibling of the UD-501 and really rates it.
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

Well I will do this in stages.

Control what I have with a mobile is the 1st step. I can add a tablet later.

Once I have that ease of access to computer audio I can start looking at the computer, storage and dac options.

Thing is, I know nothing of what apps music lovers have found best for controlling Windows media player/center, so any recommendations? All the ones I seem to look at are more suited to remote access of a PC.
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    The Tascam DACs are getting a good name for themselves. Gromit that reviews for Hifi Pig uses the smaller sibling of the UD-501 and really rates it.
    I have one the TEAC UD-501 as well. It can't handle audio levels above 1.8Vrms too well. Compressed and distorted comes to mind. It appears to be an issue with the PCM5102 DAC chip. I got an ARCAM DAC that uses the same DAC chip and exhibits the same problem.

I'm Gary.

Software wise you cant do better than Jriver, for sound quality, the interface and all you can do with it.
    Not free but sometimes you pay for the best.

Less than £35 not too spendy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast