+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this idea feasible/beneficial or just plain stupid

I'm Anthony.

Default Is this idea feasible/beneficial or just plain stupid

I’m currently using a usb powered DAC with my iMac computer and experiencing
    a bit of static like distortion.

The A-B USB lead I’m using isn’t branded as Audio quality; in fact it’s an any old
    USB cable I had lying around.

I realise that this could be the problem, but I’m thinking ……………

Can I utilise the LONGDOG AUDIO 5volt POWER SUPPLY that’s currently I’m using
    with my Squeezebox Touch to provide the DAC with clean power

Both the USB/ A and USB/B Plugs are available from Maplins

I'm thinking .......................tap only the audio signal from the USB/A socket on the MAC
    and at the DAC(USB/B plug) solder signal wires and wire in a 2.5mm socket to take the LDA PS plug.

Is Good quality USB Cable the same as good quality RCA interconnect cable ?

Advice and technical know how would be appreciated.

Regards Tony
    Main System : Apple MacMini - Via USB - Mytek Stereo192 DAC/pre - Reference Fidelity ic's - Quad QSP Power - Talk3 speaker cable - PMC 23 Loudspeakers
    Secondary System : Apple Imac - Jriver MC - RME ADI-2 DAC - Klotz MC5000 ic's - Edifier R1280T active loudspeakers.

I'm Brian.

Me and the Scottishmafia have tested quite a few USB cables . Now I know that they say that they shouldn't make a difference but IMHO ( and others ) they can , and do , make a significant difference . If I were you I would try a decent USB cable first before trying anything else . I use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FURUTECH-A...item2321ae01e6 and they're excellent . I also use a little Hifimydiy Sabre DAC and now power it with a 12v car battery which also made an audible difference . I'm sure some of the computer experts here will be along shortly to offer their advice.

I'm Keith.

Hi Tony,

Unless the USB cable you are using is actually faulty (eg. loose fit in sockets, dodgy soldering etc), then I wouldn't think that it would be the cause of your 'static'. What you are suggesting regarding using your Longdog PSU is entirely feasible - indeed MartinT has just done a similar thing (though using a high-quality LiPo battery rather than a linear PSU - I'll look for his post and edit in the URL once I find it. EDITED TO ADD: MartinT's thread is here) You can get a ready-made DC 'injection' cable (I have just bought one from Item audio, though I believe the same cable is available much cheaper elsewhere).

I think USB cables should meet a specific specification and am not sure that audio interconnect cable will meet that specification? It is somewhat controversial in some quarters to suggest that any data-transfer cable such as a USB lead will have any effect on sound quality, but there is no harm trying and if it sounds better to you then it is better full stop.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nick will comment I'm sure, but you'd need to be certain the PS can supply the required current to run both at the same time.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nick will comment I'm sure, but you'd need to be certain the PS can supply the required current to run both at the same time.
    Ah... didn't realise you intended to run both the touch and the DAC off the same PSU - as Ali says, check with Nick first...
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Anthony.

Only intend runnning the DAC
    Main System : Apple MacMini - Via USB - Mytek Stereo192 DAC/pre - Reference Fidelity ic's - Quad QSP Power - Talk3 speaker cable - PMC 23 Loudspeakers
    Secondary System : Apple Imac - Jriver MC - RME ADI-2 DAC - Klotz MC5000 ic's - Edifier R1280T active loudspeakers.

+ Reply to Thread