+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L&R Channels flipped

synsei Guest

Default L&R Channels flipped

I have a strange problem somewhere inside my 'puter, it is outputting with the left and right channels reversed through its coaxial digital port, how can that be? I have checked all the relevant cabling in the system and it is all as it should be so there is definitely something awry in the computer...

I'm Nodrog.

probably a Friday machine!! However, I assume you can just reverse the first set of leads at the analogue bit!!?

I'm Gone.

Dave,

What computer is it? on Macs the audio midi control panel can be used to assign channels correctly, if it's a pc I don't know as I never use them, but there may be an equivalent.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    probably a Friday machine!! However, I assume you can just reverse the first set of leads at the analogue bit!!?
    Hi Gordon, that would mean reversing the leads out of the DAC therefore the CDP channels would be reversed in which case...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Dave,

What computer is it? on Macs the audio midi control panel can be used to assign channels correctly, if it's a pc I don't know as I never use them, but there may be an equivalent.
    I built the thing myself years ago Paul and honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin as I have forgotten so much it is scary... It is a Win 7 PC and the mobo is an Asus P5Q SE IIRC. The coaxial digital port is on the mobo.

I'm Martin.

If it was working fine up til now then you must have changed something - have you fiddled with the audio settings recently? I'm guessing you've tried turning it off and turning it back on again

This is why I don't fancy computer audio - computers have a nasty habit of suddenly doing things differently even when you have not touched anything. Then it's tedious hours spent sorting it out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If it was working fine up til now then you must have changed something - have you fiddled with the audio settings recently? I'm guessing you've tried turning it off and turning it back on again

This is why I don't fancy computer audio - computers have a nasty habit of suddenly doing things differently even when you have not touched anything. Then it's tedious hours spent sorting it out.
    I have a rather embarrassing admission to make, I think it has been like this for a very long time, possibly since I built the thing back in 2008 The thing is, I usually listen with my back to the speakers (don't ask, please) so of course the channels sound correct in this orientation, but lately I have adopted a more serious stance when listening to music (facing the correct way for example ) and I am listening to more orchestral music than I have previously so it is this which has alerted me to the problem as the strings are playing out of the right speaker and the brass is coming out the left, which isn't right of course.

Is this all sounds or just your music output?

If you can't swap the cables over physically (reading what you've put would suggest this) there is usually an option in your player software to swap channels.

In Foobar2000, the software I use,'s options there is a DSP that swaps stereo channels. Which bit of player software are you using?
    Tom
    AKG K701, TC-7520 HPA/DAC, Yamaha RX-V396RDS, Some awful speakers

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I have a rather embarrassing admission to make, I think it has been like this for a very long time, possibly since I built the thing back in 2008 The thing is, I usually listen with my back to the speakers (don't ask, please) so of course the channels sound correct in this orientation, but lately I have adopted a more serious stance when listening to music (facing the correct way for example ) and I am listening to more orchestral music than I have previously so it is this which has alerted me to the problem as the strings are playing out of the right speaker and the brass is coming out the left, which isn't right of course.
    It's nice to know our forum leaders do the silly things that the rest of us do!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZebuTheOxen View Post
    Is this all sounds or just your music output?

If you can't swap the cables over physically (reading what you've put would suggest this) there is usually an option in your player software to swap channels.

In Foobar2000, the software I use,'s options there is a DSP that swaps stereo channels. Which bit of player software are you using?
    It is all sounds Tom for example, if I am watching a TV show and a car sweeps from left to right on screen the sound travels from right to left. It wasn't an issue before when I was using a Classé pre-amp as I could set it via a control on the front panel to reverse the channels, so I would use that to correct the issue. Now I am using a passive pre I don't have that luxury

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Hah! You couldn't make that up Dave . I thought that I was the only one who did things like that . Lately I've been throwing out the teaspoon and keeping the teabag Might as well start the year as we mean to go on eh ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast