+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Last Days at Work

I'm Andy.

Default My Last Days at Work

Hi All

Well I have finally done my last shift at SSI.
    Was a shame to leave but the pull of my new job (See post in Abstract Chat) was too great.
    Thought I would post a couple of photo's that may be of interest (or not)

The first is me on the Cast House Floor after working on the Tap Hole Drill, that actually worked ok after I had been working on it, I am watching it at a distance (just in case it went wrong again)

The second photo is of an identical drive Motor and Gear Box that drives a belt that carries Coke (not the fizzy drink) to a stockhouse. The motor is a 3.3kV drive motor and a fluid coupling to the Gear Box.

The last photo is what we came across while checking out a failure to start fault.
    The gear box is not seized, so what went wrong ?? You can see the motor has ripped off it's feet mountings from the main motor carcass. The hole in the fluid coupling casework should not be there either.

Andy - SDDW

Andy
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm martin.

Feck me, after leaving the pit I never expected to see a picture of a scoop coupling(albeit a fubared one), the ones I dealt with drove conveyor belts the could carry 1200tons of coal per hour out of the pit.
    As for the cause, a seized gearbox would have been my first thought but even so fluid coupling should have just run hot and blown the fusible plugs or the motor trip on overload, a seized coupling bearing should have tripped the motor overloads so then I be expecting an outside influence, someone hit with a dump truck.?
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Tony.

That's a whopping big blast furnace.

Pity we have so few left now.

I'm Andy.

Hi Guys

Cheers for your replies.
    Martin, the motor tripped on O/L and O/V. The inference is the system stalled and then suddenly released it's tension.
    The conveyor belt if I remember correctly is 1400mm by 800m long. It is rated at 90t/h.
    The Fluid coupling is completely detached, can't remember if the fusable plug was intact or not.
    We were not part of the enquirery, so not sure of the outcome.

Tony, the Furnace is the largest in Europe.
    Not many of these about anymore. It is something quite special.

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Wishing you all the best in your new job Andy.
    Barry

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Great Picks Andy,
    The first one would easily fit in well on an Indiana Jones movie set!
    Good luck with your new job.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread