+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beron Amplifier?? Info

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    And one with what looks like asbestos stuck on the end of it I didnt fancy messing with that
    It is asbestos. However, if you replace that particular capacitor with a modern equivalent, you'll find the new ones are much smaller, so the asbestos isn't required (it was for insulation puropses). I had to replace that capacitor in my own Beolab 5000 - it was actually leaking electrolyte and used to leave a small puddle on whatever surface I sat the amp on!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm James.

Thanks for the confirmation Yes, the end of the cap is very close to the transformer so that would make sense.

I'm James.

Found this thread after some googling. I bought that Oberon off ebay back in Nov. Figured it was worth a punt at the price. Very pleasantly surprised with it indeed, preferring it to my Brio R in my system. Didn't really get on with the phono stage when I tried it - that could take your head off. It has its limitations - the pre stage is noisy (I assume psu noise) and has dreadful low level channel matching, but the balance control comes in very handy there.

I'm actually using it with only a single source, into the CD direct input, which bypasses the noisy pre section. This is much cleaner and you get much more control of the vol pot.

Looking under the hood there's a healthy selection of Elna caps of various types.

I'd love to see a circuit diagram to compare it to the claymore, and so I can see which cap types are used where in case it needs a recap at some point. Don't really want to take mine apart to go tracing tracks.

The one in the opening post looks like an Oberon Classic from looking at these photos:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/galle...php/photo/5990

James

I'm James.

The circuit board looks like a Magnum Design.
    Is Mr. Wonfor still on this forum and still alive?
    " Moronicus Flatus" is fatal to all who listen.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, on here, and still kicking last I heard!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna View Post
    The circuit board looks like a Magnum Design.
    Is Mr. Wonfor still on this forum and still alive?
    I believe Colin designed it and it was "used" by Magnum

I'm James.

I think he must have as I have one here, on the PCB it is printed CJ14 on the track.
    Has anybody listened to the new Claymore? Is it fitted with a phono section?
    Colin PM please.
    " Moronicus Flatus" is fatal to all who listen.

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna View Post
    I think he must have as I have one here, on the PCB it is printed CJ14 on the track.
    Has anybody listened to the new Claymore? Is it fitted with a phono section?
    Colin PM please.
    PM done.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spev View Post
    Found this thread after some googling. I bought that Oberon off ebay back in Nov. Figured it was worth a punt at the price. Very pleasantly surprised with it indeed, preferring it to my Brio R in my system. Didn't really get on with the phono stage when I tried it - that could take your head off. It has its limitations - the pre stage is noisy (I assume psu noise) and has dreadful low level channel matching, but the balance control comes in very handy there.

I'm actually using it with only a single source, into the CD direct input, which bypasses the noisy pre section. This is much cleaner and you get much more control of the vol pot.

Looking under the hood there's a healthy selection of Elna caps of various types.

I'd love to see a circuit diagram to compare it to the claymore, and so I can see which cap types are used where in case it needs a recap at some point. Don't really want to take mine apart to go tracing tracks.

The one in the opening post looks like an Oberon Classic from looking at these photos:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/galle...php/photo/5990

James
    Hi James

Dp you still have the Oberon if so would it be for sale anytime soon? i never was sure why i was never offered it when my friend had it i always expressed interest Let me know
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12