+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radford STA15

I'm Kim.

Default Radford STA15

I think this counts as Past Masters if it’s older than me...

Anyway, I picked up this lovely sounding STA15 the other week. It’s been to David Coe/AD Audio within the last couple of years for new caps, speaker binding posts and valve runners and sockets. The transformer cage is showing it’s age, but a new one should be on its way from Will at Radford Revival. The main casework is a little beat up, but that’s a much bigger job!

Sounds great already. I was worried my speakers wouldn’t be sensitive enough, but no issues there in my small room.

I wanted to ask about others’ valve choices with these?

This is currently fitted with the following:
    Mullard/Zaerix GZ34
    2 x Telefunken ECF82
    2 x Telefunken EF86
    4 x Svetlana EL34s

Which valves (output/signal/splitter/rectifier) tends to have the greatest impact on SQ?

I’ve been looking around at EL34s and may get a set of the Winged ‘C’ valves as I think it currently has the reissues fitted. These seem to be a good balance between cost and reputation.

What about KT77s? I’ve seen someone singing the praises of 6CA7 Shuguang Treasures which I think may also work?

Grateful for anyone’s advice. I’m in no rush as it already sounds good to my ears, just interested in having a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Garrard 401 / EAR / AURALiC / DAC? / Spendor
    Border Patrol / Naim / Harbeth

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My STA15 Mk.III uses Mullard (Blackburn Road) EL34s, a Mullard GZ34, with Telefunken and Siemens & Halske small signal valves.

The amp is a 'spare' and is not often used, so I haven't done much in the way of tube rolling. I'm of the general opinion that the designer of a particular valve design usually manufactures the best samples - hence Mullard/Philips EL34.

Nice example of the Radford you have there Kim, it's in better cosmetic condition than mine.
    Barry

I'm Kim.

Taken from a flattering angle Barry, I assure you!

I have looked for Philips EL34s, but they seem rare and very expensive!

I'm Roger.

Mike Davis (ex - Radford/Woodside) fitted JJ EL34s IIRC to my STA25 when he restored it - sounds good to me.

I'm Andre.

You never see stuff like the old Pye 'PF-91' , 'HF-25' Which were well sexky..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    You never see stuff like the old Pye 'PF-91' , 'HF-25' Which were well sexky..
    There is a member here who uses a pair of Pye valve amps. Forget his name, but I did post a circuit diagram for him.
    Barry

I'm Andre.

You never see the Audiomaster 'IIA' They would be cool with Marco's Tannoyz

I'm Kim.

I've had a weekend of tube rolling and so felt I should add my thoughts.

For the signal valves, I've tried new Svetlana, GE and a nice pair of Dario Philips cryo EF86 tubes from Watford Valves, but still tend to prefer the Telefunkens that came with the amp. Though differences here are not as great as with the output valves to my ears.

For output valves, I've now heard JJ EL34s, new Svetlana EL34s, new Genalex Gold Lion KT77s and Amperex NOS xf4 EL34s. I've been really impressed with the KT77s and would happily live with them, but (as per Barry's comment above), the xf4 valves work best for me - perhaps not quite as revealing as the KT77s, but emphasise the midrange a little more and sound lovely.

So, in summary, I seem to like the sound of the really expensive valves more than cheaper ones!!! I think there's probably some bias going on here

I like the amp a lot though. So much so that I bought an STA25 that was for sale on here recently as I thought a little more power might suit my speakers better (it does). I'm about to send it to David at AD Audio for a little cosmetic work and a service and will do a side-by-side comparison when it comes back.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

NOS RFT are well thought of. Not sure what the prices are like these days though. Probably not as good as Mullards, but a lot cheaper!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Kim.

Thanks for the tip - not tried RFT valves before, but will give some a try in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast