+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte launch a range of 'audiophile' grade motherboards.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    Bit of show shopper if you can't buy a Gigabyte GA-H81N in the UK at the moment. It is shown on the Gigabyte's UK website, may be a call to them will clarify if any UK retail outlet will ever stock it.
    Indeed, I still cannot find one but they are not that readily available in the US yet - you can get them via eBay shipping in from the US, but I'll wait until they are stocked over here. Shouldn't be too long, we always lag behind new mobo releases in the UK, I have found this to be quite common as I follow the new release market often and have had to wait for stuff like mobo's and graphics cards before.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Indeed, I still cannot find one but they are not that readily available in the US yet - you can get them via eBay shipping in from the US, but I'll wait until they are stocked over here. Shouldn't be too long, we always lag behind new mobo releases in the UK, I have found this to be quite common as I follow the new release market often and have had to wait for stuff like mobo's and graphics cards before.
    All very true, but just a bit concerned that UK sellers will restrict themselves to stocking the gigabyte sniper range of m/boards which have the "usb-dac" port and other audio features which they will view as attractive to would-be gamers (http://uk.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/335/images/audio.html) . These have been available for a while.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

You might be right Chris and if it comes to it I'll source one from the US if I have too, but I'm happy to wait awhile yet. Or I could just take a soldering iron to a board and physically remove the 5V USB power connections, which actually might not be a bad idea
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

That shouldn't be too difficult to do, Tim. Just watch that you have enough heat to get through the multiple layers and use a solder sucker, not that dreadful braid stuff.

I'm Gary.

Dabbled a bit with this...

I found the only motherboard mods that made a (slightly) audible difference was swapping out the voltage regulators, if you can power your usb socket externally (especially linear) then onboard mods to usb power don't do much.
    Not worth it in my experience.
    Go for a board with at least 8+2 power phase design and you'll be sorted.
    You can swap caps out for better which MAY increase the life of the board, but not so much about subjective sound quality.

In terms of improving sound quality, imo the best thing you can do motherboard wise is independent 12V linear power rails to CPU and 12V ATX.

Audiophile motherboards...naa, not convinced.
    Marketing more than anything imo.

Good link here
    http://www.overclock.net/t/891696/a-...gn-explanation
    and another
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Circuit/616/1
    Last edited by Gazjam; 31-12-2013 at 12:21.

I'm Tony.

Would concur there. I have 2 maplin linear supplies\batteries for the processor and mobo.The operating system runs on a usb supplied by anker battery pack.
    Also can run the ssd(small one) with an independent wallwart linear supply. Some lads I know have even got rid of the pico.

Linear and battery really made a big difference.

I'm Gary.

gone that way myself Tony, 5 linear psu's in my server setup.
    You guys over in Tir Na hifi know your onions!

Haven't tried the OS on a stick yet, will have a go soon.
    Had a look through the big thread and couldn't find specific info on it?
    Any links or info Tony?

thanks
    Gaz.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-01-2014 at 09:13.

I'm Tony.

[QUOTE=Gazjam;513839]gone that way myself Tony, 5 linear psu's in my setup.
    You guys over in Tir Na hifi know your onions!
    Haven't tried the OS on a stick yet, will have a go soon.
    Had a look through the big thread and couldn't find specific info on it?
    Any links or info Tony?

Re onions I know a cattle farmer who wouldn't be happy with that!

Cut and paste from tirnahifi. Pm you email address and I will send on some info and instructions I have cobbled together.
    Basically either get a kingston WTG stick or else a sandisk extreme 3.0 off ebay etc 16gb will be fine. Kingston is windows certified so works slightly easier. The sandisk requires a virtual drive to be created but it is much cheaper to buy than the datatraveller. I use 2012 R2 with Audiophil's core optimiser on mine.

A good link with info

http://agnipulse.com/2012/11/windows...s-windows-7-8/

"We've been talking off-line anyway, but here it is if anyone wants to try it.

Download:

W8 audiophile ISO. Shoot me a pm if you want the link, or register up at computeraudiophile and ask for it on the thread over there.

You'll need a 32gB usb key - PC world has them at €25 or so. USB3 key is €45 in PC world. Probably cheaper stuff online.

There's a few ISO images to burn so you need a few blank DVDs

1. Follow instructions at http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/53 ... -disk.html. It took 2 hours for mine to do the imagex command.

2. At the end of that process you should have a key that will boot into W8. Remember you may need to change your bios settings to change the boot order so it will boot from the usb key

3. If you have the "other user" issue follow instructions here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post204109

4. If you have administrator problems (constant UAC warnings popping up) then do this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post207549

5. Install your hiface drivers, or whatever drivers you may need for your equipment, and jplay if thats what you use.

6. Add music and play!

Notes:

You need patience. No patience then don't go there.
    USB3 key might be quicker than USB2 but don't know.
    This audiophile install doesn't have wifi enabled and I haven;t figured out how to turn it on yet, so you may need ethernet to access network/internet etc.

All works though, and it went in and out of hibernate etc for me."

Will try and dig up some later links and instructions and post when I find them.
    Last edited by tonerei; 02-01-2014 at 00:24.

I'm Gary.

Tony,
    thanks.

Does runing the OS from a usb stick have any performance hits?
    I run 1080p movies from Jriver and wonder if this could be impacted?
    Also the servers not just a barebones music player, need network access etc.

Cheers mate, much obliged.

I'm Tony.

Gary

I use the audiopc in standalone mode only for audio. I currently have an external hard drive with the music on it and sometimes I have a delay when selecting more tracks after playing music. An onboard drive would sort that. I can't answer your question my guess would be no but this isn't a do or die you can buy a sandisk extreme pro usb key for circa £20. Just make it a bootable drive with 2012r2 on it and try it. If the experiment fails One can never have enough usb sticks!

For a new build it is certainly worth trying as an SSD is expensive if you already have an internal HDD.
    The fiddly bit is if you decide to power it from a battery supply.That requires either buying a cable with the power pins split out or cobbling one together yourself with a usb double header.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12