+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woolworths

I'm Shane.

Default Woolworths

Occasionally I miss this shop. Years ago there was a nice one based in West Ealing I used to go too!! Loved their CD section & their famous ''pic in mix'' sweet section.

Anyone else here still misses woolies?

S.

I'm Chris.

In the States we had them back in the 70s kind of like a drug store with a soda fountain where you could get milk shakes. They sold pets as well

I'm Nodrog.

Amazon for the pre internet age.

We used to buy almost anything there. For me it was Airfix kits which got me into putting stuff together. I used to throw the instructions away as it was much more fun figuring out how it all went together. I still want to know!!

I'm Jerry.

Given the huge market that has been created by the pound stores, it's hard to see how Woolies could have gone wrong.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Given the huge market that has been created by the pound stores, it's hard to see how Woolies could have gone wrong.
    They tried to move with the times. They just got the time wrong.

synsei Guest

Our local Woolies had a very good music department with staff who actually knew their stuff, I miss that...

I'm Andr'e.

Last edited by The Barbarian; 18-12-2013 at 12:39.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Occasionally I miss this shop. Years ago there was a nice one based in West Ealing I used to go too!! Loved their CD section & their famous ''pic in mix'' sweet section.

Anyone else here still misses woolies?

S.

x2 Miss loads about the 70', 80's as the Blur album says; "Modern life is Rubbish"
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Martyn.

Woolworth's sold a brilliant range of paints in the '70s. Equally as good as Crown paint. Someone once told me Crown made it for Woolworth's. Who knows...

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Amazon for the pre internet age.

We used to buy almost anything there. For me it was Airfix kits which got me into putting stuff together.
    Ditto. You could also buy 'Embassy' records, which were anonymous cover versions of hit records, some featuring artists who later became famous (eg Elton John).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast