+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 7 'autoplay' failure.

I'm Geoff.

What a relief. Everything is running spot on now. I've even got the boot time down to 57 secs. Not bad. This was an extensive period of disaster sorting. I'll be OK for a while now. I'll probably cock it all up again sooner or later though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'll probably cock it all up again sooner or later though.
    I would happily bet my no claims bonus on that Geoff
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Seems I spoke too soon. PC was Infected by a nasty little bug last night whilst browsing sites for TV remote controls of all things. The bug locked my PC and put a file opening shortcut on the taskbar. No way was I going to open that. MSE caught it and claimed to be dealing, but after a reboot it was still there, my antispyware app failed to clear it and in the end I had to start in safe mode and do a system restore to get rid of it. It must be a new bug as I can't find a reference to it. McAfee and Bitdefender sites don't list it. Back to normal now (hopefully).

I switched from AVG to MSE a couple of days ago, to avoid needing to manually update. I've retained the AVG Linkscanner, as it works. Following yesterday's problems I've added Threatfire A/V, which is behaviour based and designed to run alongside main A/V apps. It is low on system resource demands, so should not slow things down. I've used it before with no bother. I've also reinstalled SecureAPlus whitelisting. Get past that lot you nasty little infections! :)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Get Winpatrol to guard against trojans etc attaching themselves to the auto start up. But why you need a remote control for that blow up doll ?

I'm Geoff.

Knew I could rely on you Stan (cheeky git ). I was using WinPatrol, but did not install it on this Windows setup. Perhaps I will. Cheers.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Geoff you crack me up. Happy New Year fella and good luck with your 2014 computing
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Geoff you crack me up. Happy New Year fella and good luck with your 2014 computing
    And Happy New Year to you too Tim!

Yes I look forward to much more tinkering and probably buggering things up again. Trouble is I can't resist the challenge and a PC is like a big box of complicated toys to me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123