+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: valve phono stage into SS amp

I'm mike.

Default valve phono stage into SS amp

will a valve phono pre amp into a solid state amp give me that tube sound which is so admired or do i need to get a tube amp? thanks, mike.

I'm stu.

What speakers?
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm ChrisB.

More importantly, what amps?

I'm mike.

speakers are wharfedale dovedale III the amp is rotel ra 610, thanks, mike.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Mike,
    Just to try to understand what it is exactly that you're thinking of doing, are you proposing to split the power amp section of the Rotel off and use that with a valve preamp? If so, which one?
    Or are you up for a complete change away from the Rotel?

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Just to try to understand what it is exactly that you're thinking of doing, are you proposing to split the power amp section of the Rotel off and use that with a valve preamp? If so, which one?
    Or are you up for a complete change away from the Rotel?
    no, just thinking of maybe getting a tube phono stage pre amp and was asking if it makes any real difference to the sound, in a good way that is, or is it not really worth it. i know its quite a subjective question but if anyone has any knowledge regarding tube phono pre's compared to built-in SS phono pre amps and their different sound qualities, if any. thanks, mike.

I'm Geoff.

If you want a touch of the 'valve sound' out of your ancient but rather nice Rotel RA-610 (it's a very good match for the Dovedales by the way), buy a Musical Fidelity X-10D valve buffer line stage off eBay, take out the pre/power links on the back of the Rotel and connect the X-10D between them (the right way round of course). If you don't know the X-10D, there's loads of info on the net. I've got one and in certain applications (such as yours) it certainly does add a bit of 'valveyness' (think I may have just invented a word there)! That way you can keep using your quite decent inbuilt phono stage and benefit from added 'valveyness' on all inputs!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm ChrisB.

I've had great success pairing a valve preamp (with phono stage) into transistor power amps and have done so for many years. But I also use a valve power amp with that pre and also a couple of solid state phono stages into it's line inputs - I can do all sorts of combinations.
    The trouble is, a good amp shouldn't really sound like a valve or solid state device - it should just sound good! So that term 'valve-like' might imply to some that a device is not really all that good!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    The trouble is, a good amp shouldn't really sound like a valve or solid state device - it should just sound good!
    I know what you mean Chris, but seventies Japanese amps can be a bit 'matter of fact' in their presentation. Much as I like the RA-610 and the following RA-611, I reckon bunging an X-10D into the mix will do no harm and will add a bit of that valve warmth and romance to the sound. I use an X-10D myself from time to time and in the right situation (like this) they work.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm ChrisB.

Yep, well if rosiness is what's required, then it will probably do the job - it'd probably slot between the pre/power sections if those links are removed (and if I'm thinking about the right Rotel amp). A modern phono stage might be a bit more informative in terms of getting music off a disc, though.

EDIT: Just noticed Geoff confirmed that the amp has pre/power split!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast