+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad 33 / FM 3 / 405 & B&W DM//2

I'm Dan.

Default Quad 33 / FM 3 / 405 & B&W DM//2

Hi Guys

My dad just picked up this lot but i have concerns i'm wondering why theirs an earth lead on the 405 power amplifier & also what does it connect to?. Also was wondering have i connected up right if not please guide me as i will be trying it in the morning & just want to be sure.

Lovely Condition.

Many thanks
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [B]Class A , A,B Amplification[/B\]
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Speaker Cable , Digital Coax , Interconnects
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

synsei Guest

Oooo Dm2's Can't help you with your Quad question Dan but you are in for a treat once you get those DM2's hooked up to somet, as long as the Coles aren't shot that is, in which case they will sound as dull as ditchwater If all's well your Tannoys will most probably show them the door but I reckon the DM2's may give your 770's a decent run for their money

I'm Dan.

Hi Dave

The DM2's are sweet as a nut & sound excellent through a denon amp. The quads need a service.
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Hi Dave

The DM2's are sweet as a nut & sound excellent through a denon amp. The quads need a service.
    The FM3 is still a reasonable tuner and the 303 isn't bad at all when working properly but I wouldn't bother with the 33 if I were you...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dan.

Hi

Yes but we are on 2 different levels i love it end of story each to there own though..i feel the forums has had this debate before....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

synsei Guest

The FM3 is still a reasonable tuner and the 303 isn't bad at all when working properly but I wouldn't bother with the 33 if I were you...
    Looks like a 405 to me but hey ho...

As with everything hifi, what is heaven for one may sound like tat to A. Nother. As long as A. Nother sticks to what he or she likes then everyone is happy
    Last edited by synsei; 12-12-2013 at 23:44.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Hi Guys

My dad just picked up this lot but i have concerns i'm wondering why theirs an earth lead on the 405 power amplifier & also what does it connect to?. Also was wondering have i connected up right if not please guide me as i will be trying it in the morning & just want to be sure.

Lovely Condition.

Many thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan,

Don't worry about the earth lead on the mains plug for the 405, it isn't needed. The 405 will be earthed via the braiding/screen of the audio lead connecting the 405 to the 33 preamp.

Some people are unhappy with this arrangement and prefer to directly earth the metal work of the 405 (or any other power amp for that matter) directly to the earth pin of the 13A mains plug. In theory this will form an earth loop, but in practice it will cause no problems: I added a supplementary earth wire to the 2-core mains lead connecting my 405 amp to a 44 preamp (whose switched mains outlets were IEC 3-pin types with earth).

PS From the photos you have connected up the units correctly.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Looks like a 405 to me but hey ho...

As with everything hifi, what is heaven for one may sound like tat to A. Nother. As long as A. Nother sticks to what he or she likes then everyone is happy
    Yes it's a 405-1 (with the silver-grey anodised front heat sink).

Agree with your comment, except the 405-1 can benefit from a very simple and cheap upgrade by simply replacing the LM301 op-amp with a superior type.
    Barry

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes it's a 405-1 (with the silver-grey anodised front heat sink).

Agree with your comment, except the 405-1 can benefit from a very simple and cheap upgrade by simply replacing the LM301 op-amp with a superior type.
    I should have quoted Jez, Barry as mine was a response to his post regarding the 33

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I should have quoted Jez, Barry as mine was a response to his post regarding the 33
    Ah - but though the 33 preamp design is very much of its time and now sounds dated (as do all preamps of that era, such as the Radford SC22, Leak 'Varislope', Sugden C51 etc.), the Quad 33 is not a bad sounding amp.

Rather than shell out for a new preamp, I would have the likes of NET or Dada upgrade the Quad 33.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast