+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a dac for £400 (New or SH)

I'm Steve.

Default Recommend me a dac for £400 (New or SH)

Hi Guys
    I'm in the market for a new DAC, having just sold my Rega Dac, which i found slightly laid back via my Macbook. With this in mind, what would you recommend up to the value of £400?

The candidate that clearly jumps out to me (due to reading this forum) is the Audiolab M-Dac, but what else should i consider.

Also, the NAD D1050 DAC looks interesting, has anyone had experience with this Dac?

Cheers Steve

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    Hi Guys
    I'm in the market for a new DAC, having just sold my Rega Dac, which i found slightly laid back via my Macbook. With this in mind, what would you recommend up to the value of £400?

The candidate that clearly jumps out to me (due to reading this forum) is the Audiolab M-Dac, but what else should i consider.

Also, the NAD D1050 DAC looks interesting, has anyone had experience with this Dac?

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve,

Please give the Bushmaster MK11 a listen, very popular with some of the forum users here . Here's a link http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...k-II-(TC-7533)

Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

I'm ILOB.

Yes agree with Martin if you add a battery power supply a giant killer
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes agree with Martin if you add a battery power supply a giant killer
    Which giants? The BM2 is a great DAC, but at £400 second-hand it opens up some options!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm stu.

abrahamsen v6
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm simon.

Meier stagedac or daccord
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If you found the the Rega a little laid back, try an HRT Music Streamer II+. I think they are astonishing value for money, but you only have one input. I have this and the Rega, the HRT has a little more punch and matches my near field system well, the Rega for me is just sublime for the money paired with a Brio-R and Harbeth speakers, but I like a non fatiguing sound that I can listen to all day, every day (and I often do)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

M2Tech Evo DAC/HiFace2.
    Their HiFace DAC has been well received too
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Which giants? The BM2 is a great DAC, but at £400 second-hand it opens up some options!
    I think you really underestimating what it can do with battery power it go up against some pretty good DACS like the Cunas and Octavia 2 of the best DACs around. They all do slightly different things but its playing in the same ball park
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    If you found the the Rega a little laid back, try an HRT Music Streamer II+. I think they are astonishing value for money, but you only have one input. I have this and the Rega, the HRT has a little more punch and matches my near field system well, the Rega for me is just sublime for the money paired with a Brio-R and Harbeth speakers, but I like a non fatiguing sound that I can listen to all day, every day (and I often do)
    +1 for exactly the same reason, no fatigue...
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast