+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technics SL5 DD auto

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Default Technics SL5 DD auto

Well Guys i have been thinking about getting a cheap as chips turntable for my other system (family set up) .

I bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130308343883

I have always fancied trying the SL10 but they are rare and around the 200 mark' so an SL5 for 19 ' quite keen to try it out now for basically peanuts.

Any tips ideas about a different P mount cart ' i am aware of the problems that there may occur with this being an auto ' but what the hell should be fun.

The guy has fitted a new std styli which is ok but i think this can be improved upon.

What do you think ' am i turning into a Technics Fanbois ' not really its just so cheap and probably better than one of those USB jobbies for 80.

some more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

The 5, 7 and 10 were great little decks, although there was something about the 10 which I loved (the mc cartridge I suspect).

The SL7 was the one I had most to do with and the sound was accurate but somehow charmless, possibly due to the cartridge supplied, but rest assured, the other P mount carts shouldn't be too bad as they all track at 1.25.

My favourite P mounts were probably the Ortofons, and Shure's P mount versions were pretty good too. I haven't a clue on what's available today I'm afraid. Some of the AT's may be a good listen and there are plenty of styli available still for these.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Thanks Dave

What appeals to me most is the compact size and plug n play aspect ,
    i am not expecting that much sound wise 'but i just fancied a 2nd deck and don't have the funds for anything special ' which considering there may be children and teenagers poking their fingers around it 'would be a waste.

One important question ' can i fit any p mount cart to it ? i know mc's are not suited , but i only want to use MM anyway 'my Yammy has a half decent MM stage.
    Chris

I'm Peter.

I think P mounts are pretty much standard. You can get AT cartridges and styli on Ebay. I had to get one for my DD 33. Easy to fit and not very expensive at all. Cheap as chips compared to the 100s and 1000s you could spend! The DD33 sounds ok, nothing special but it does the job.
    Peter

I'm Chris.

thanks

Its funny and to think once i paid over 700 for a troika must have been quite literally out of my mind.
    Chris

I'm Peter.

I'm Chris.

Looks a good deal

i already have that one on my ebay watch list ,thanks i will get one i think.
    Chris

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

For a neat, "fit and forget" option, you won't go wrong.

A record producer, Rupert Hine (Howard Jones, Chris De Burgh in the eighties), had the LP12 dem and made polite noises about it, but what he actually bought was an SL7 for the studio. Place record on the platter, close the lid and press play - easy for anyone to use!

You can't really tweak it, as there are little sensors which gently poke through the platter mat, but it certainly won't sound bad.

yes, ALL T4P mount pickups should be interchangeable.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great little deck, Chris! I'm sure that it'll provide lots of fun, you Techy fanboi, you

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Oh Marco
    the secrets out ' there is no hiding place

I have a soft spot for techy turntables ' maybe because there are so many of em ' i believe the SP10 ' SL1200 ' and the SL10 are all classics as are the 301/LP12/Voyd/Rock/TD124/PL71/P3 ' etc not sure about the NVA Senior though ' but it was a decent performer as i remember it .
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast