+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's cleaning process with new vinyl, using an RCM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

"Archive" solution recipe as used by record libraries stateside and in the UK in bygone times:

25% (max) lab grade 99.9% pure IPA;

75% demineralised/de-ionised water;

Add to this 0.5 to 1% by volume Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent (do not use older recipes such as Kodak Photoflo as the additives could leave a residue).

Personally, I'd avoid using washing up liquid as it contains large amounts of salt but a little (as in a few drops per litre) may be ok.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    "Archive" solution recipe as used by record libraries stateside and in the UK in bygone times:

Add to this 0.5 to 1% by volume Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent (do not use older recipes such as Kodak Photoflo as the additives could leave a residue).

Personally, I'd avoid using washing up liquid as it contains large amounts of salt but a little (as in a few drops per litre) may be ok.
    Water - check
    IPA - check
    Ilfotol - check

Time for the first home brew cleaning solution.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Water - check
    IPA - check
    Ilfotol - check

Time for the first home brew cleaning solution.
    this will give you a good guide for using it.
    https://londonjazzcollector.wordpres...r-vacuum-rcms/
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Peter.

Yes....I have had a RCM for 15 years and the has been my stanby formula

I'm Michael.

I see no need for fancy concoctions. I use something similar to this formula and no rinsing on my Okki Nokki. I have a Zerostat but never use it. I use a paint pad for cleaning the record. Some front ends seem to be much less forgiving to surface noise than others.

I'm Steve.

Many 'recipes' for record cleaning solution seem to be IPA based. However, I've been using a 50:50 mix of purified water and bio-ethanol with 10ml of Ilfotol in 1 litre. You can get the bio-ethanol from any DIY store - its used as a fuel for these fancy household fires - and it's pretty cheap.

Anyrate, it seems to work really well and nothing has disolved yet!! I'm sure I read somewhere that it's pretty much the same mix as recommended by Kieth Monks. I did also use a rinse of purified water for a while, but now I don't bother.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers chaps, I'll have a look.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Ali
    A small bottle of this goes a long way http://www.garrard501.com/Test_L_ART_KNOSTI.pdf I mix with triple distilled water.
    I tried using the knosti stuff and I also used a mix as per Reffc above without washing up liquid but after trying this L'art du son the records are ultra clean and literally shine plus I noticed next to no static when you lift it off and when you use the brush on the record before playing it feels silky with no drag so I am impressed and will be getting another bottle when this one is gone, it really is worth the money IMO

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Gone.

Sorry folks but in my opinion L'art du Son is a complete no no and I say this with a heavy heart as Martina Schoener is a friend of mine and someone whose opinion in most things audio I respect. L'Art du Son fluid is, as I understand it, organic and many people report things grow in it. Now I know it says only make up the concentrate in small amounts, but I left an unopened bottle of concentrate in a cupboard for a few months and even the concentrate had strings growing in it. I have not done any tests but the thought that I was putting a growing medium on my records fills me with dread.

BTW after a lot of research while I was working with Loricraft, we got the perfect mix of IPA, distilled water and wetting agent. Paul from Reffc almost has it right . I can't give the exact mix in case Loricraft want to sell it at a later date and it could be considered commercially confidential information.

I'm Paul.

I have L'Art du Son and if you keep to small quantities at a time and refrigerate growths are almost eliminated. As far as it's use is concerned I would strongly recommend a rinse with an alcohol based cleaner or distilled water. I only now reserve it for problem discs were it may remove some stubborn deposits. It also alters the sound in a way that is not positive in my view pointing towards some being left in the grooves. Hence a strong suggestion it is thoroughly rinsed and vacuumed off after it's done it's cleaning job. Needless to say I rarely use it finding that the standard Okki Nokki concentrate does a very good job for the cost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast