+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: India launches spacecraft to Mars

synsei Guest

Default India launches spacecraft to Mars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24729073

Some of the comments below this BBC News story make me ashamed to be British

On my part I think it is a fabulous achievement and for a fraction of the cost of similar missions from Europe and the US, well done India...

What some are failing to realize is that it is becoming increasingly crucial for mankind to have a presence in space. As Earth's resources dwindle the only option open to us is to develop space tech to a level where we can begin prospecting for minerals in space which are essential for our continuing development as a civilization. If not we face a slow decline into obscurity.

I'm fuckoff.

More than just a presence in space, a unified presence is needed.

I think it'd be a lot more effective with pooled resources and knowledge; its such a waste of time, all of this duplication of effort.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

+1. Well done to India
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dave.

At least you'll be able to buy a loaf and a newspaper whilst in orbit...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Mark.

yeah they really need our foreign aid to fund that

farcical, half their country in real poverty and they spend the aid on a space program

I'm Nobody.

I wish someone would hurry up with an other planetary settlement, im getting a bit fed up with Earth

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    As Earth's resources dwindle the only option open to us is to develop space tech to a level where we can begin prospecting for minerals in space which are essential for our continuing development as a civilization. If not we face a slow decline into obscurity.
    There is no likely prospect of bulk minerals being sourced offworld.

The demands in sheer resource terms would make it unworkable, even if confined to just our Solar System. Shifting a spacecraft into orbit uses unbelievable amounts of energy and assuming it got to its destination, you'd likely be using similarly vast amounts of fuel and whatever else, just to land and take off again even without taking on a load and then you'd need fuel to land back on Earth. God knows how much fuel would be needed to land a giant, loaded, mineral hauling spacecraft. Perhaps technologies will develop that circumvent these issues, but I don't see it happening myself.

Humans have no natural right to expect perpetuity and I think ultimately, humankind will remain Earthbound and fizzle out into obscurity and universal history (like all other Earth life) and I don't think it really matters one way or another. We won't be around to worry!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

I went to Mars last week. Diesel is expensive up that way. Cold too... proper brass monkeys.

People are nice though... Not sure what they would do with a ruddy rocket apart from look upon our world with envious eyes, and slowly and surely.... send the bloody thing back.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    I wish someone would hurry up with an other planetary settlement, im getting a bit fed up with Earth
    Your Hi-Fi won't sound right in an atmosphere with a different gas balance Andr'e!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

well done India, now can the uk stop giving you £250million every year in aid?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast