+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn 'fanbois': blinkered, deluded, brainwashed or just deaf?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Is it no surprise that many devout audio anoraks are almost certainly Aspergic to a degree? - "My way is the only way and you non-believers are WRONG!!!!!!" These people have a need to "belong" - well, I did, and what better than the first generation of the Linn/Naim owners club, following the Quad club that preceeded it...

Increasing age, experience and, I hope, maturity, does have its benefits I suppose. There's a whole load of things I want to try again, or even for the first time.

By the way, I haven't played a CD in weeks..................
    Last edited by DSJR; 28-05-2009 at 18:57.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

Marco,
    There could one of, or several, things at play here.

I think this behaviour is often a way that people have of justifying their investment (and maybe, sometimes, their lack of investment) - not to others, but to themselves.

However, people also look for different things in their hi-fi. Some value imaging above all else (strange, but true) & others fall for the toe-tapping loblocks as touted by your fellow countrymen. As long as your system delivers what you want it to deliver, are you wrong?

I know what you mean though, I remember the articles in Hi-fi Review & the Flat Response - the rag that spawned it that categorically stated that a Linn Basik cartidge made a Koetsu Black sound like a steel gramophone needle (or some such), and preferred a NAD 3020 over a highly revered US preamp. This attitude does no-one any favours.

Incidentally, those mags spent as much time flying across the room accompanied by a large quantity of swearing as they did being read, but they were sometimes quite entertaining in their own way!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes good post,and I have to say I'm one of the strange ones,having imaging and soundstaging high up on the list of what engages me in hi-fi,hence why I like SE amps and electrostatics.Both I think are unrivalled in these abilities.

I'm Ralph.

Apparently it seems the guy with the P2 that pisses all over every DD ever made and pretty much every other deck as well, bar one of course, no longer listens to vinyl at all having discovered the obvious superiority of CD in the early/mid nineties and selling his collection of Blue Notes/Columbia 6-eyes etc. at record fairs to Jap collectors throwing wads of cash at him, so why bother participating in the thread at all, ffs??
    Anyway the OP has had to start a new thread to help him in his journey, he seems to want to go down the 301/401/124 route which is fair enough but in the current market climate I can't help but think it's going to end up costing more than just a penny or two, ah well each to their own I guess.

Boogie on
    Ralph

I'm Neil.

Hi Guys

I would have thought one of these

would eat a Rega planner 2 or 3 for breakfast(almost anything would IMHO). This TT is a Pierre Lurne design and while the set up and arm is fussy its a great TT but the PL version may be slightly better...not sure.

However if it was this they were talking about

then it takes no prisoners I would imagine and so will the new version of it.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 28-05-2009 at 12:26.
    Regards Neil

I'm Guy.

I met Pierre Lurne at shows a few times & talked with him about the Goldmund products. He always said the Reference was more of an engineering showpiece and that the Studio was the serious one to have. He may have been right, the Studio always sounded excellent when I heard it (same Papst motor as in DSJR's Dual 701). I only heard a Reference once but it was still pretty good. Certainly up to the standard of a Rega Planar 2 anyway

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Marco,

.... people also look for different things in their hi-fi. Some value imaging above all else (strange, but true) & others fall for the toe-tapping loblocks as touted by your fellow countrymen. As long as your system delivers what you want it to deliver, are you wrong?

....I remember the articles in Hi-fi Review & the Flat Response - the rag that spawned it that categorically stated that a Linn Basik cartidge made a Koetsu Black sound like a steel gramophone needle (or some such) ....... This attitude does no-one any favours.

Incidentally, those mags spent as much time flying across the room accompanied by a large quantity of swearing as they did being read, but they were sometimes quite entertaining in their own way!!
    I'm one of those 'strange' people who value imaging, along with focus, detail, transient attack and lack of colouration, especially in the mid band. I can't have everything, in fact no component has it all, so we all have to make sacrifices. In my case, I forgo deep bass and the ability to achieve realistic orchestral tutti as well as suffering a restricted listening area, by way of achieving most of the other qualities. It probably explains why, along with Ali, I use electrostatic speakers and I still regard the Linn Isobaraks as the worse speakers I have ever heard. But I wholehartedly agree with your statement that the system should deliver what is right for you.

Apropos the 'Hi Fi Review' and 'Flat Response', they were the magazines that a very long time ago would have been recycled by being torn up into squares and left for convenient use in a small brick outhouse. Whatever happened to the editor of those esteemed publications?

Regards
    Barry

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I believe he spent some time at her majesty's pleasure for something or other
    Last edited by chris@panteg; 28-05-2009 at 22:15.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I do get a surprising amount of bass from the ESL III's Barry,and I'll get even more when I pick up the top model called the Acorn this weekend.These speakers are extremely good.I think the fact that they come as kits puts a lot of people off,but they really do compete with the best commercial stuff,and at a fraction of the price.

I'm Ralph.

Default 'P2 eats Goldmund' FACT

Hi Neil

The poster on PFM singles out Goldmund in particular as being clearly inferior to the P2, it's obvious innit, anyone with any sense can clearly hear the superiority of the Rega in any area that matters, whatever they may be

Regards
    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast