+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W DM2 fettling

I'm Paul.

Dave

Modern capacitors will likely have slightly better linearity with frequency and slightly lower distortion. If there are any p-core or ferrite cored inductors in the crossovers, change these to air core for the same value. Caps: Claritycap ESAa every time. Better imho than even the Jantzen Superior Z-caps and cheaper. Wiring: ANY ofc will do. OFC because it won't corrode and build up resistance over time. Multitrand because it needs to be relatively flexible. use 1.5 to 2mm2 section, that's plenty enough for the very short distances and will add b*gger all loop resistance...it doesn't have to be the same as your speaker cable. Solfer tag connections and if they use cheap and nasty speaker binding posts, change to something good like the gold plated OFC CMC items (about £15 per pair). Thats it. If you're not comfortable with sorting the crossovers, send them to me and I'll do it for you

Regards

Paul

I'm Nobody.

The below in Ansar 'Supersound' caps. {did all my speaker rebuilds in em & Martin T just done his Gale '401' in em}.. If you get them from Cricklewood electronics they will have the Ansar brand name on em.

4.7uF = £4.50 each
    3.3uF = £3.50 each
    2.2uF = £3.50 each
    1.5uF = £3.50 each
    0.68uF = £3.00 each

As for the Mills resistors always go for the higher wattage 'MRA12' ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm James.

Agreed, Van Damme 1.5mm - 2.5mm would be perfect for the internal wiring. Have you compared the Ansars with Clarity Caps Paul ? For the relatively low values needed the ESA's might be a good bet.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Agreed, Van Damme 1.5mm - 2.5mm would be perfect for the internal wiring. Have you compared the Ansars with Clarity Caps Paul ? For the relatively low values needed the ESA's might be a good bet.
    Hi James

Yes, I have both here in my spares bin and tbh, the Ansars are pretty good. Certainly excellent vfm and I prefer the Ansars to the SA range but prefer the ESAs to the Ansars. Considering the cost of the Ansars, they're excellent. As you suggest, if funds permit, some 250V ESAs wont break the bank and would be my choice almost every time depending on the circuit application.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Hi James

Yes, I have both here in my spares bin and tbh, the Ansars are pretty good. Certainly excellent vfm and I prefer the Ansars to the SA range but prefer the ESAs to the Ansars. Considering the cost of the Ansars, they're excellent. As you suggest, if funds permit, some 250V ESAs wont break the bank and would be my choice almost every time depending on the circuit application.
    I'll have to try some on my next project

I'm Nobody.

The best thing about the Ansars apart from the amazing value for money is they look very military, they look simular to the common Black Elcap caps you usually see residing in old speakers, perfect for vintage kit rebuilds. Ansar don't add any sound signature imho they just make the original design breathe more making everything sound more right if you get my meaning..

I'm James.

No Elcaps here

I know its a 2A crossover pictured but its the same apart from the switch & associated resistors...

I'm Nobody.

Hi James
    I wasnt refering to the 'DM2' just that most the speakers of that vintage i have had were loaded with dem ELCAPz loike..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Hi James
    I wasnt refering to the 'DM2' just that most the speakers of that vintage i have had were loaded with dem ELCAPz loike..
    True, true... Their longevity seems vary wildly on speakers of similar age I dont know what causes them to "go off" lack of use maybe ? I remember the low loss Elcaps in those Castle Richmonds were 50%+ out of spec yet those in the Ditton 44's were all within 10% still

I'm Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    <snip>
    All I'll say is that I've put money into things I intended to keep forever, only to gain nothing on the inevitable re-sale or worse still, devalued the item and faced a double-hit of lost outlay and lower resale price. Personally, I'd stick to things that don't cost a fortune and won't impact the resale value negatively.
    <snip>
    As a (relatively) satisfied owner of a pair of second hand DM2s, I would echo this comment. I suspect that you could spend a lot of time and money replacing crossover components and replacing the internal wiring and notice no difference.

However, IF you do decide to go ahead and refurb your crossover, I would suggest you contact Jerry Bloomfield at Falcon Acoustics (sales@falconacoustics.co.uk>), he is INCREDIBLY helpful.

Good luck and I would love to hear what you do decide to do and how it works out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast