+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i am an anologue ass (like the donkey)

I'm David.

Default i am an anologue ass (like the donkey)

i have just found my tt spining with the cartridge cutting a very fine ring in the lable of a record. the other day i found it cutting the final grove a bit deeper to the point of it leaving a trail of a dark grey dust
    this is a result of falling asleeplistening to it then going to bed in a daze a habit am am now going to break!!
    my question is, what is the out come of this?
    degredation of sound quality?
    shortening of the lift of my cartridge?
    everyone on this site tut tuting at me?
    all of the above?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    i have just found my tt spining with the cartridge cutting a very fine ring in the lable of a record. the other day i found it cutting the final grove a bit deeper to the point of it leaving a trail of a dark grey dust
    this is a result of falling asleeplistening to it then going to bed in a daze a habit am am now going to break!!
    all of the above?
    I image we have all been there at one time or another Hamish. The worst record for that was/is Pink Floyd's 'Meddle', last track on Side 2: 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'. This track ends with a dripping tap whose drips coincide with the exact point where the lead-out groove enters the locked circular groove. As a result, one could fall asleep and not be woken by the usual 'clickety-plop' reminder.

On a more serious note, if your stylus is ending up on the label then there is something wrong with the set up of your arm and cartridge. Insufficient bias?

If it is 'cutting' into the locked lead out groove, that sounds like you are using too high a tracking force.

Both of these errors could damage your records and if repeated will certainly shorten the life of your stylus.

I would suggest your check the set up of your deck/arm/cartridge.

These days I have a habit of going to bed and leaving lights on! (I think it is on one of Janis Ian's records where she says 'senility comes quietly to the structured mind'.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    all of the above?

Yes....I agree with Barry, something is wrong in your set up. Re check it tute sweet.... In all my years this has never happened...not the falling asleep but the destruction of a record label.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post

LOL

What turntable was that? It looked like a Thorens. Infact it lookes a bit like mines

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Trio DD deck about 1980 ish

always one of my favorite skits
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    I image we have all been there at one time or another Hamish. The worst record for that was/is Pink Floyd's 'Meddle', last track on Side 2: 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'. This track ends with a dripping tap whose drips coincide with the exact point where the lead-out groove enters the locked circular groove. As a result, one could fall asleep and not be woken by the usual 'clickety-plop' reminder.
    Much as I hate to play the pedant here but someone has to point out that Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (...marmalade, I like marmalade...) is actually on The Atom Heart Mother lp. The Meddle track with the repeated run out is Echoes.

Cheers
    Ralph

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    How about 'A Song of Reproduction'

by Flanders & Swann from 'At The Drop of a Hat'

Lyrics -

A Song of Reproduction

I had a little gramophone
    I'd wind it round and round.
    And with a sharpish needle,
    It made a cheerful sound.

And then they amplified it,
    It was much louder then.
    And used sharpened fibre needles,
    To make it soft again.

Today for reproduction,
    I'm as eager as can be.
    Count me among the faithful fans,
    Of high fidelity.

High fidelity,
    Hi-Fi's the thing for me.
    With an LP disk and an FM set,
    And a corner reflex cabinet.

High frequency range,
    Complete with auto-change.
    All the highest notes neither sharp nor flat,
    The ear can't hear as high as that.
    Still, I ought to please any passing bat,
    With my high fidelity.

Who made this circuit up for you, anyway? Bought it in a shop? Oooh, what a horrible shoddy job they fobbed you off with with. Surprised they let you have it in this room anyway, the acoustics are all wrong. If you raise the ceiling four feet... put the fireplace from that wall to that wall... you'll still only get the stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard.

I see.............
    ………. I see you've got your negative feedback coupled in with your push-pull-input-output. Take that across through your reeded pickup to your tweeter, if you're modding more than eight, you're going to get wow on your top. Try to bring that down through your pre-amp rumble filter to your woofer, what'll you get? Flutter on your bottom!

High fidelity,
    FFRR for me.
    I've an opera here that you shan't escape,
    On miles and miles of recording tape.

High decibel gain,
    Is easy to obtain.
    With the tone control at a single touch,
    Bel canto sounds like double Dutch.
    But I never did care for music much,
    It's the high fidelity!

I'm Andy.

Hamish

What's wrong with Donkeys .Very inteligent animals, with the exception of me that is .

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Much as I hate to play the pedant here but someone has to point out that Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (...marmalade, I like marmalade...) is actually on The Atom Heart Mother lp. The Meddle track with the repeated run out is Echoes.

Cheers
    Ralph
    Yes Ralph you're quite correct. My mistake in not checking the facts. That's what happens when you try to be spontaneous. Even worse is the fact that I regard 'Atom Heart Mother' as one of my favourite Floyd albums; though I tend to only play Side 1 with the title track.

But to cap it all, I even misquoted Janis Ian; the track I had in mind was: 'Insanity Comes Quietly to the Structured Mind' from her album '...For All The Seasons of Your Mind'.

So I would seem to have it all: poor memory, absent mindedness and maturity onset insommnia - Senility here we come!

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast